Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket size for 20 people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket size for 20 people?

I'm smoking a brisket for a party this weekend (family mostly). What is the rule of thumb for weight per person, and amounts it will shrink by trimming and cooking? Thanks as always.

Generally 1/2 lb per person is what I use and it always works out. But I also like leftovers so for 20 I'd get a 12 lber

Comment

I'd go 12-14lbs before trim as leftover brisket is not a bad thing!

Comment

I figure 1/3 of a lb per person of cooked product, and am pessimistic about trimmed weight to finished - I assume 50% loss of weight cooking, so 20 x 2 / 3 -> 13 or so lbs trimmed. Leftovers are better than hungry natives.

Looks like we have a consensus regardless of how we calculate it.
        Last edited by EdF; July 30, 2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Worthy of note is the 1/2 to 1/3lb raw weight (after trimming) per person is based on average appetites, and the inclusion of side dishes. If your gathering is the high school football team, and there's very little sides, double the meat and go 1lb per person. If it's grandma's bingo friends and they're all bringing sides to pass, you're good! And as stated, ain't nothing wrong with leftover brisket if you have the means to cook a large one or two normal ones. Guests love getting a little to-go container!

Comment

The crowd will be:
            5 > 78
            2> 60
            7 >50 (3 guys, 4 gals)
            6 College kids - 2 big eaters
            I"ll buy a 14 pounder or bigger. Sides will be served. 1 > 78 who doesn't eat red meat.
            I plan on making burnt ends from the point. They were a big hit last time (my 2nd) I smoked a brisket.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, it does turn grey when cooked...

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Make lots of sides, especially carbs.

I guess we like meat a lot more than you guys up north. I am doing a cooking class tomorrow for 25 people. I have 10kg beef ribs, 20 kg of pork ribs/ belly, 2 kg mojellas, 1 kg bacon, 800grm pastrami and 3 full briskets (about 18kg). + 60 liters of artesanal beer (@Huskee) Yep we don't mess around.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              In this case, enough!

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              First, you insult my meat eating capability, and second WTH is a KG??

• SmokingSteve
              SmokingSteve commented
              Editing a comment
              KG means kilograms, he is on the metric system. LOL!

Can you say leftovers?

Comment

IMO a 12-14 lb brisket served with maybe 4 different sides, some dinner rolls and a nice cake or pie to top it off would be plenty. If your worried about not having enough just throw some sausage on and have it finish early and serve it with some cheese as an appetizer.

Comment

I agree. 1/2 pound per, you will lose 45% in cooking, so at least a 12 to 14lb will work great. Good luck

Comment

Remember, left overs are good!

Comment

I would probably cook more than most are recommending and shoot for 3/4 pound to a pound uncooked, untrimmed per person. So something in the 16-20 lb range is what I would shoot for. Or two 10 pounders. It is always better to have a couple pounds left over than to run out. Depending on where you live most people have probably not eaten good brisket before and once they taste it they will want seconds and thirds.

Comment

I went to Coatco last night and bought a 15 lb prime full packer. It should be plenty of beef thanks to everyone's calculations, and the 2 people who can't make ther party. Thanks for your advice!
                      Last edited by Randy-Phx; August 1, 2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here