Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Chuck Roast Hot & Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Chuck Roast Hot & Fast

This is a *Select* grade chuck roast I just finished. An experiment (1) using this grade of beef for a chuckie, (2) cooking hot (about 100 degrees higher than normal), and (3) using a new rub on a chuckie, Meat Church BBQ's Holy Cow Rub used as the dry brine, that went very well. I compared the rub's sodium content to Morton's Kosher salt and ended up deciding on 2 tsp of rub per pound of meat which was around 2x the sodium mg of Morton's, but it was not too salty at all.

This is probably the best pulled chuck I've ever cooked...according to my wife.

I filled the Slow 'N Sear Plus with a mounded load of Weber briquettes (90), knowing I wouldn't need all of them, and I didn't. 30 were removed and lit in my chimney and I was up to 350 in less than 5 minutes and with the proper vent adjustments I held close to that easily. I had planned on using my PartyQ but I didn't need it.

Summary of the cook:
    -3 hours (you read that right) at ~350 until the bark was to my liking, then to the pan under the chuck used to capture all the juices, covered in foil.
    -1.75 hours at 375-390 in the pan until it was mostly probe tender.
    -4.75 hours total on the Kettle/SnS.
    -2 hours in a 170 degree oven.

I mixed in all the juices in the pan.

Kettle/SnS Plus setup. Next time I won't place wood that far from the lit briquettes as the burn never reached the last 2 chunks. This was a total of 8 ounces of post oak from fruitawood.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Setup.jpeg
Views:	3330
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	539439

Just before pulling

Name:	2-Before-Pulling.jpeg
Views:	3365
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	539438

Pulled

Name:	3-Pulled.jpeg
Views:	3347
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	539437

Just under 7 hours? Very nice! I would eat that!!! Good job!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I love a successful cook all done during the daylight. Started at 10:30 and finished in time for dinner is a win in my book. Thanks!

Good job.

Comment

Nice work. Hot and fast is really an acceptable way of cooking for most cuts of meat, chuck included !!

Comment

Good job. Looks great.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for sharing the details.

Comment

Why sweat for 10+ hours! Very nice!

Comment

Looks great! That’s more or less exactly how Myron Mixon does his briskets. I’m gonna have to try this method soon, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great cook! My question is: how would one avoid using the oven? Maybe bring kettle down to 200?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I close the vents and let the temps come down near 200 then adjust to a tiny crack as needed. For this cook I wanted to move the meat inside so I could do other things.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes! I haven't put a piece of meat from my smoker into my oven and many years. I drop the temp of my cooker to about 150-160, maybe 180-190, wherever it wants to roam. I don't even use a faux Cambro in a cooler anymore.

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                Great cook! My question is: how would one avoid using the oven? Maybe bring kettle down to 200?
                I think Huskee , does this sort of thing, FireMan , cambroing on the smoker. Perhaps he'll pop back in with the details.

Nice cook, fuzzydaddy . I like that hot 'n fast approach as well. Your SnS was a real champ in this cook, looks like. What final temp did you pull that chuckie at? I notice you say probe tender, so I'm guessing you didn't take it up to 208ish for extra pullability.

Thanks for the great writeup. It should go onto one of Meathead's new recipe cards.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; July 29, 2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It hit 210 about an hour before moving it to the oven. I checked in the side and it felt almost like butter. May not have needed the full 2 hours in the oven but it served as my buffer until dinner.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good memory!

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A pure guess on start and finish times since this was my first higher temp chuck but it worked out perfect. IT was reading 196 before moving to the pan at 3 hours when bark was good.

When your cook was referenced in another chuckie post, I had to come find it! Well done. Looks phenomenal!

Comment

Nice write up. Looks fabulous.

Comment

I will have to try that. Looks fantastic. Just got hungry again.

Comment

Thought I would share the chuck roast IT throughout the cook.

Running ~350 Pit.
                      10:30 039
                      11:30 133
                      12:30 177
                      13:30 196 when bark was pretty good.

Running 375 and drifting up to 390 with the chuck roast in the foil covered pan. While I was moving it to the pan the kettle temp rose about 25 degrees with all that oxygen getting to the Weber briquettes, which is what I wanted anyway.
                      14:00 207
                      14:30 210
                      15:15 210-211 before moving to the 170 oven.
                      Last edited by fuzzydaddy; July 29, 2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

GREAT write-up, fuzzydaddy ! Thank you - I'm going to try this on my next Chuck! Have you, or are you planning on trying this on a pork butt?

@fzxfoc , you mentioned new "recipe cards" - I've not heard of this. Can you enlighten me on this?

TIA

Comment

• richinlbrg
                          richinlbrg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you, ecowper - VERY cool! I'll be sure to check it out in a bit.

And thank you, fuzzydaddy !

• Stevo
                          Stevo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey ecowper, where are these "recipe cards"? I couldn't find them on the main site. Just the usual recipes. THanks!

• ecowper
                          ecowper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Stevo it's the yellow, outlined section that says XXX Recipe at the top of it.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here