Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cantwell SVQ Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cantwell SVQ Pastrami

My pastrami is in the fridge after being chilled but I have concerns with the 150 degree 36 hr SV process it just went through. The bags never floated during the 36 hrs but I noticed a weird smell about 24 hrs into the the cook. Not sure if it is normal as I am very new to SV. The bags seemed to bloat during the cook but I am positive there was no leak as the water bath was clear and the seal on the bags was not broken. The container was only used once before and washed so I am pretty sure it wasn't a dirty container. The meat does not seem very tender at all. Any advice would be appreciated at this point. I'm leaning towards tossing it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	252.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.98 MB ID:	539236

Click image for larger version

Name:	253.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	539240
    Last edited by OSB; July 28, 2018, 09:07 AM.

I've had bags "bloat up" a bit quite often. Not an issue unless something else is going on. How does the meat smell? If ok, go ahead and smoke it; if not then bye-bye. (I don't remember whether the CC method is pre or post smoke). The you can finish it with steam or in a pressure cooker.

Comment

• OSB
      OSB commented
      Editing a comment
      The recipe calls for a post smoke to 125 IT after a 36 hr SV @ 150. I haven't cut the bags open so I'm not sure on the smell of the meat yet. You've given me hope. EdF

I think you're ok. I've had a lot of purge and bag bloat at those temps. As long as you're sure there wasn't a leak then go ahead and finish it off and enjoy your pastrami !!!

Comment

You should be fine, I've had the same kind of thing with my pastrami.

Comment

It came out just fine. I will have to try it some of the other ways I have seen it done around here. I also need to to try a homemade corned beef as well. Thanks for the help. @Troutman @EdF @tRidiot

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	539717

Comment

Here is the same store bought corned beef roast smoked with cherry to 203 probe tender. To me this version was superior.

Name:	193.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	539735

Comment

What’s also interesting is that if you do it QVQ (smoke SV and smoke again),during the SV process you will smell a little smoke because some of it does get through the bags even though they aren’t leaking.

Comment

If it didn't pinch tender at the recommended time, I would have given it more time in the SV. 150 is in that weird zone for me. I think of 139-150 as a no go zone for mammal meat. Never done anything but chicken in there that came out as a good eating experience. Have gone hotter, have gone cooler. 150 might be okay. I think 155 is the temp for simulating that smoked/braised texture. 135 is about as hot as I cook anything that you'd normally cook to medium rare. Then again, I don't like most meat cooked medium or well. So, that might be with 139-150 is the weird-bad outcome zone.

Comment

• OSB
              OSB commented
              Editing a comment
              It was tender just different texture than the one smoked to 203 probe tender. Since I have no background with sous vide this is all experimental.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm thinking about writing up a simple set of my tips for SV since I'm on two forums with a lot of folks dipping toes in SV now. Pinch test is the most important. Pinch the bag. If it doesn't pinch like your desired finished result, put it back in the bath. It will only get more tender.

I've taken a lot of unkind runs at Clint, but I'd go hotter on this... 155x24 maybe. or 135x72 for sth difrnt.

• OSB
              OSB commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack I would really appreciate the write up of your SV tips. Can't thank guys like you enough for what you do here in the Pit. I'm having alot of fun but I also want to be safe and improve my BBQ.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here