Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking chuck steaks for chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking chuck steaks for chili

So I’m about to smoke some chuck steaks (I usually use roast but they were sold out!) I usually do my chili by browning chunks of chuck then throwing in pressure cooker for 30 mins - if I’m using pre cooked meat from the smoker how would this affect cooking time?

also since I only have these 2-3” steaks instead of the roast does anyone have a rec on how to smoke
    them?

many thanks!

I wouldn't cook until done. I'd give them some low and slow just to put some smoke to 'em for flavor. Then cut and add to your chili assuming you simmer your chili for at least a couple hours.

Comment

I use chuck for chili as well and smoke it. I smoke them for a couple hours, or internal temp of 150'ish .... after 150, meat isn't taking on more smoke so no point in going beyond that. I brown them and then put the whole thing together and cook the chili. I have not noticed that this makes any marked difference in my cooking time once I have assembled the chili.

Comment

Well I’m doing it in the instantpot - the normal for me is to brown it lightly, throw it in the pot with stock spices etc and just pressure cook on hi - the meat is absolutely falling apart to the point that light stirring turns it into a shredded meat - what IT would you recommend taking the steaks to on the smoker before pulling?

Comment

• Breaktheory
          Breaktheory commented
          Editing a comment
          Browning it on sauté is what I’ve always done - I was hoping to add a nice smoke to this batch - I really think it was the fact that I used chuck steak instead of roast

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd go with what ecowper suggested, and maybe cut the instant pot time a bit.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I know nothing about cooking in Instant Pots or Pressure Cookers, so take my advice with a grain of salt :-)

you probably don't need to get to 150 for steaks ... I bet getting up to rare would do the trick .... 125-130. and I'm guessing the way you do it will not require much time browning or pressure cookering.

Comment

Gentle reminder, if your post is about beef, please place it in the beef sub-channel, or pork for pork, etc. Same for charcoal grills, kamados, etc.
          This is to help keep things organized for everyone. Thank you!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL! Work with engineers much, ecowper ?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF .... ummmm, I am an engineer ;-)

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            ;-)

I just made my first instapot Chili with a bunch of left over ribeye from the freezer that was smoked/seared to medium rare. I cooked raw beans, natural pressure release then the meat and fixin’s went in for a little pressure cook and it came out awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOG MAN View Post
            I just made my first instapot Chili with a bunch of left over ribeye from the freezer that was smoked/seared to medium rare. I cooked raw beans, natural pressure release then the meat and fixin’s went in for a little pressure cook and it came out awesome.
            I’m a huge fan of Instant pot - tonight is first time w pre smoked chuck - fingers crossed...fairly amazing a plastic countertop plugin cooker from target can produce such great food - I also made the best chicken soup of my life in one...really amazing little gadget

Comment

Some results....I cooked to 120 IT but I think I overdid it - it didn’t come out nearly as tender in the instant pot although the major difference is that I’m using chuck steak rather than my normal chuck roast - I think for next time I make sure I get chuck roast to give it time to absorb smoke without drying out the center

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I do prefer chuck roast for this. I’ve used stew meat a few times and it was way too dry

Whole heartedly agree! Stew meat or top round just doesn’t fall apart the way chuck does

Comment

So update to this - bought a 3lb chuck roast from Costco. In a 2 pack - 7 hour smoke @225 with a crutch at 149 - brought it to 195 IT then pressure cooked w chili ingredients and cooked 15 mins hi pressure - perfection

Comment

Whatever leftovers come off the smoker at my house get sliced into lunchmeat and put in the fridge. If it's still there in a couple days, it gets cubed up and put in chili - white bean chili with pork/chicken, kidney bean chili with beef. The usual suspects of veggies and spices, fresh jalapenos and stewed toms.

I haven't gone through the rigmarole of smoking specifically for chili, and I simmer everything for a couple hours before I simmer the added cooked meats at the end for 30 minutes. I usually serve it spicy, and hot, with shredded cheddar, sour cream and green onion, and crackers. Maybe that's why I'm not missing the quality of meat made specifically for the chili - it's a pretty big show of lots of other ingredients, and I have a dozen hot sauces on hand to vary things up.

I know I screwed things up and mentioned three types of meats in a sub channel. I've lost my pit karma for the day...

Anyway, a smoked chuck roast seems victimized to me, to end up in chili right off the grate. I want to hit that baby solo and bask in the smoky beef tastes of goodness sitting on Tx Toast. For me, chili is the quick meal made from what's in the fridge, not a plan.

Comment

• lemayp
                    lemayp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've smoked additional chucks knowing they would go in chili, but thats just me wanting to maximize a long smoke. There is always extra going on if I have room.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here