Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round Steak....HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round Steak....HELP!!!

I bought a half a beef and had all steaks cut to 2" for grilling. This, of course, came with several round steaks, at 2" thick. I have tried several methods of grilling but it is so lean it is almost always too tough. My best effort was using it for chicken fried steak! I read through the Salisbury steak recipe here but it is a little unclear to me. Anyone have a a great recipe for this cut? Thank you.

We treat it like Chuck; brown it, add a little water, cook 'til tender.

Comment

• Hugh
      Hugh commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jerod. I'm not having alot of luck cooking chuck, just curious what you mean. When you say brown it, add water and cook till tender, are you talking like a dutch oven or more low and slow on bbq?

Thx

The first thing I think of is beef jerky.

Comment

Oh man, round steak has great beefy flavor, don't underestimate it. Cut it in 1/4" strips about 2" long and use in stroganoff, chili, beef burgundy, or saute in teriyaki and serve over rice. Or, pack 'em in dry ice and send them to me!

Comment

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah. Agree. I use this sliced thin in the wok after a bath in a marinade made with rice wine vinegar, low-sodium soy sauce, fresh grated ginger root and garlic.

• SMO
        SMO commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Going to try some round steak cut for fajitas tomorow. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic SMO, the sweet spot is not over/under cooking them, and that's just by feel.

Have a look at this for a possible solution: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-steak

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the ticket if you have the equipment (though I did notice there was a link there for improvising if you don't). For a round steak double the time in the bath, or even more since you have 2" and their recipe is for 1". We've done them, and they come out surprisingly good.

• SMO
        SMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, looks good MBMorgan and I like the improvised SV suggestion EdF

When I think of round steak, swiss steak comes to mind. Maybe better cut for a slow cooker or pressure cooker (dare I say Instant Pot).

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, ya dasn't!

(But save me some, please! )
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 21, 2018, 03:56 AM.

• SMO
        SMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, been thinking of the Instant Pot treesmacker

SV?

Comment

• SMO
        SMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a lot of the recommendations are leaning that way!

If you have one, I would suggest cooking it in an Instant pot (pressure cooker). I’ve got half a cow and that’s what I’ve been doing with my rounds. They fall apart they are so tender. You can put in veg and broth to make a roast and gravy or just broth to shred it with sauce.

Comment

Cut it into the shape of a ribeye and cook it like a ribeye. Problem solved...

Or maybe slice it real thin , add a little butter, and fry it for cheese steak sammies.

Comment

QVQ or SVQ like a chuckie. Potkettleblack is a resident expert.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice hat you got there!

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Or just SV for sth like 131x48h, Shock, season, sear, slice with a board sauce.

If you have a slow cooker/crock pot . . .
          Dust steak(s) in flour/salt/pepper and brown in butter on stovetop . . .
          In another pot, Pour in some beef broth and add some or all of onions/carrots/mushrooms/spuds, whatever you like. Season with a little thyme/salt/pepper/bay. Bring to boil and stir in some flour until dissolved and has the thickness you like. Put the steaks and liquid/veggie mixture in a slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Sort of a stew, I guess, but it works good for eye of round steaks.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Nothing wrong with a "braise" now and then!

I totally agree with the SV method for cuts of round. Here's a top round I did a while back as a London Broil. SVd at 132* for about 20-24 hours. Ice bathed and then seared to get some color and flavor. I believe this started about as about a 2" cut. Good luck !!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I was grasping at memory for the cook time. You've put it down better than I did.

• SMO
            SMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good, may have to try the SV!

A 2" piece of round is a thick piece of semi-tough meat! Split it into 1" steaks, Jaccard them well, pound them out thin and do chicken fried/country fried steak & gravy!

Comment

• SMO
            SMO commented
            Editing a comment
            I have done them in the past as chicken fried steak and it turned out well. I agree that I would would have to split them...2" is a little thick!

I’ll say cube it up and make beef stew or chunky French onion soup.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180825_174124698.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	555238

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here