Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Beef Short Ribs

I bought these back at the beginning of the week and remembered that Huskee told Dew that they could stay in the vacuum bag in the fridge for several days so they sat in the fridge till I could start them.

I have been working on these since Friday. I dry brined them for 24 hrs. and used the Jacard to tenderize them a bit

Wrapped them in stretch-t ite and got bthem in the fridge.

Took them out 24 hrs later and oiled and used the "Big Bad Beef Rub" on them. Wrapped them again and put them back in the fridge for another 24 hrs.

I was awake at 4:30 and had planned to get up at 5:30 and have the ribs on by 6 am. Couldn't go back to sleep as my mind was just exploding with what I needed to do today so I was up at 4:45. I made sure the hopper was filled with CookinPellets Perfect Mix and then cranked up the ole RecTec at 5 am.

Got it up to 225*F box temp and scraped down the grates from the last cook and put on a rack of spares I had in the freezer that had been dry brined and rubbed before freezing. DW asked if I used his rub and couldn't remember. I do remember his rub being very good. I did recognize that I used mustard instead of oil with the rub. And after I put them on the grill I covered the top of the spares with regular succunant (a form of brown like sugar).

I then got the BSR's on. I put two out of the four pieces on as the daughter will be over today and that will be enogh for the three of us. I will freeze the other two.

The Maverick says the box Temp is at 226*F and I will open the cover in another hour or so just because I have to check.

Comment

Barry those BSR sure looks good. I want to do some whenever I can find them

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
        Barry those BSR sure looks good. I want to do some whenever I can find them
        I got them at BJ's. I see there are none in Kentucky. You aren't to far from Bowling Green are you? There should be something there to get some. I looked up custom meats in Bowling Green and came up with two that might be worth pursuing.

Omni meats

John's Custom Meats

Comment

OK, 2:15 min. into the cook. It is almost daylight here.

Comment

About 4 hrs into the cook and the IT is at 190*F. At 195*F I will take the thermopen and check everything and make sure I am not to close to a bone, etc. I will also check the PR between the last two bones on the thick end and see were the temp is.

Comment

They are looking good, Barry!

Comment

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks DEW, I am trying to learn from your thread on the BSR's.

Those look tasty Barry. I've got a whole bunch of meat in the fridge that I should have gotten up early to cook. It's almost 10 AM here and I still haven't started cookin. Should be OK for the ribs but the chuck roasts take too long for me to have them for dinner... unless I use the PBC... hmmmm

Comment

Temps are all over the place with the thermopen. As high as 201*F and lows around 183*F. Marked difference between the Maverick and the thermopen. I made sure I didn't get the probes to close to the bones. 5 hrs into the cook, pork ribs about 190*F between the last two bones on the thick end of the rack. I am going with the thermopen as my final authority for temps. I am suspecting the low temp areas are in a stall and I just need to monitor carefully.

Comment

Well, we weren't waiting on the ribs to finish for the meal. The PR I took off at an IT of 195*F, The BSR I took off some where between 207-183*F. I was concerned with over cooking them and when we ate them there was significant fat and collagen that had not broken down/melted/ But no one complained

The BSR's were great but, next time I will cook them more.

The BSR's were very moist with excellent flavor.

My plate before I devoured it.

Overall, a successful meal one more time.
                  Last edited by Marauderer; January 18, 2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Really looks delicious, Barry. Congrats on a successful cook.

DEW

• W.A.
                    W.A. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You did awesome. Not the easiest thing to smoke.

Awesome Mr Barry

Comment

Excellent Barry! I know it's against your religion but you can always give the crutch a try! I like how the meat pulled back nicely to give you those "meat handles".

Comment

Barry what would you do different next time with the BSR? Trim, cook longer?

Comment

Barry, that looks like my kind of meal! Great cook and thanks for the pics...I learn a great deal from them. I was interested in the temp differences that you were getting between the Mavs and the Thermapen. I recently tested the difference between a GMG supplied for temp probe vs Mav 733's and a Thermopop; the GMG temp probe came with the Davy Crocket model I recently purchased based on your comments and others. As the IT of the turkey breast that I cooked climbed, the temp reading of the GMG probe rose at a much higher rate than the Mav so I pulled out the Thermopop (which I rely on as the standard) and checked temps. It was quite closet the Mav 733 at about 100F, actually they were only a couple of degrees apart and the GMG probe was 20F higher. I know that you used your RecTec for this cook but has your experience been similar to mine with the DC?

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                          Barry what would you do different next time with the BSR? Trim, cook longer?
                          I am thinking I would rather have beef back ribs rather than BSR's. The BSR's had to much fat and to get rid of it you really need to cut the pad off as it is between the pad of meat and the back of the ribs. I am going to reevaluate the other two pieces of BSRs that I have and will probably trim them. The last BBRs that I had were great and I took them to 203*F. If I cook the BSR the same way again I will cook them longer to get the collagen to break down. I don't know if the fat would completely melt away without trimming it.

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Those were chuck short ribs, likely plate short ribs wouldn't have that fat cap you've experienced.

Did you cambro hold them, brisket style? This is very helpful with beef ribs FWIW.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here