Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Short Plate - Whats Your Cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Short Plate - Whats Your Cut?

I have 2 nice beef short plates - one from Crowd Cow (the smaller one, ~3 inch bones) and a CAB from our local butcher (~6 inch bones).

I have done beef short ribs on my KBQ in the past - big hit with my wife!

Last time I did them I followed Meathead 's recipe and cut into 2 bone segments.
    I just watched Jabin Postals' video and I see he cuts them individual.
    In looking at a number of posts, most leave whole.

Begs the question - what is your goto?

​'
    Last edited by Spinaker; July 18, 2018, 01:35 PM.

If it's a 4 rib plate I will cut into half otherwise I leave whole.
    Cutting into individual ribs will give you more bark. I think its a matter of preference and taste.

Comment

2 rib cut from a plate, unless it's a 3 rib plate then cook it whole. You get plenty of bark (two out of three sides) on a 2 rib option. That's my take on it, but YMMV !!!

Comment

I always leave them whole when I cook them. I just love watching the whole plate of ribs morph into beefy goodness.

Comment

I’ve done both ways, not a whole lot of difference when done, except more bark when individual.

Comment

I leave them whole. I''m always cooking 4 bone chuck short ribs. That's what my meat man can get and that's what I prefer! I get them by the case a couple times a year! I get ample bark, but mostly enjoy the succulent fat/meat combo of the whole cut. All in all, it's pretty much a personal prefernce thing. No wrong answer when you're cooking beef short ribs!

Comment

Three bone plate because that’s what my butcher stocks. I have 6-8 in the freezer at any given time.

Low and and slow in the Kettle/SnS with BBR. Click image for larger version

Name:	50A2326C-EB84-4BF8-BD51-74AF448800CC.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	534329

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here