Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Production at restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Production at restaurant

Tomorrow I am teaching a class to an important client who is buying one of my largest production pits.
    They have 4 restaurants and the pit will be in the central location and send out the product vacuum wrapped.
    I want to show them a variety of different cuts/meat they can produce.
    The kitchen is very well equipped with wood grill (parrilla), Rationale oven (steam/ sous function, 2 x 300 liter sous vide baths, hot and cold vacuum packers.
    They buy baby back ribs 2 tons at a time or rib eyes a ton at a time, so it is not some hill billy ramshackle place.
    Here's what they want to do.
    *pulled pork (sous vide/ bbq)
    * Brisket (sous vide /bbq)
    * Rib eye (I am thinking cook whole sous vide/bbq then they can portion it out and vacuum wrap and finish each cut with a quick sear on the parrilla).
    *beef ribs
    *baby back ribs
    * pastrami
    I also want to show them pork belly burnt ends but not sure how they can manage/present that on a plate.

Let me know of ideas or cooking hints

I prefer to eat at a "hill billy ramshackle place" than a mass produced place any day. Us....er them....thar "hill billies" cook with the heart and will ya give the shirt off thar back if need.
    if ya ever get a chance to visit a hill billy party you’ll see it’s a well organized event and everything is cooked and served like clock work

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment

After reading your post your on it, stick with what they want for now. That's a tall order already.

Comment

I understand your remark about the shack Ahumadora. Maybe "two bit" or "low budget" might have been more appropriate in this PC culture we live in. I am a backyard cook for two & maybe sometimes 6 or 8. I have no concept of restaurant operations. Ther are a select few here who will have some input. Paul at PaulstheRibList might have an idea.
      Last edited by FireMan; July 17, 2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I don't see chicken on the list, or any type of sausage.

Comment

I would also teach them it is not about presentation but about taste, unless they are doing a event they have to turn in a box that is being judged by looks and not taste. To me a good restaurant is one that does the entire meal prep work as well as the cooking on site. Today everything is prepared somewhere else and reheated. If they are wanting to do BBQ have them look at how it's done here at the top spots and put pits at each location instead of one gigantic one and shipping it off.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            At the moment they want to set up and see how it functions before installing pits in each location. They are not about to ditch their full menu and go all BBQ.
            Also they have an all day menu that BBQ will be included in.

For restaurant service, I think I would stick with traditional textures, so that would be pulled pork, brisket and beef ribs at 155. That also reduces the time considerably, down to 8ish hours, rather than 2+ days. Also allows for hot smoking, like 350 to build bark, which is considerably faster.

Ribeye, keep to 129 or 131, and allow them to finish to customer request at time of service.

I know a lot of folks who do ribs sous vide. I had a bad experience, so I haven't really experimented much.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I've never done pork ribs SV, and would probably exclude them from that process. But the rest of your ideas look pretty sound.

You're talking about operating at a whole different level than most of us!

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            More sous vide experience than a lot of you. That's all. coming up on 10 years of sous vide.

Pork belly can plate and present very nicely. go for it they are easy to do and might be the thing that impresses them the most. Sounds like they do all the other stuff in mass amounts so they see it every day. If pork belly is new to them they will be impressed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork belly presentation.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	534111

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Chicharrones! In sliders!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here