Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The journey to Pastrami.......just a bit outside of Romania...DONE!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The journey to Pastrami.......just a bit outside of Romania...DONE!!!!!!

Corning the beef. And to paraphrase Meathead in his recipe, "no corn will be harmed in this corning...post mortem." Who knows what went on "pre-ante mortem."

The Brisket weighed just under 9 pounds, pre-trimmed. After separation of the 2 muscles and trimming, I had 5 pounds 10 ounces. The recipe uses about 8 pounds meat.

I weighed out 6 ounces of salt beforehand (rather than 8 ounces), since I knew I wouldn't have more than 6 pounds of meat. Done trimmed enough of these bad boys. I used 4 tablespoons of homemade pickling spice, instead of 5. I kept with the 1 cup of brown sugar since I had the light instead of the dark. Used recommended rate of curing salt, garlic, and water.

I used Hefty 2.5 gallon Jumbo storage bags. I double bagged it. Looks to be covered well. Going to flip every 8-12 hours for the first week just to make sure all meat is covered at some point in time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010090.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	53307 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010092.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	53308 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010093.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	53309 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010094.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	53310 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010095.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	53311

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 9, 2015, 06:33 PM.

Needed a helper to load the bag. And it was loaded!!!!!

Name:	P1010096.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	53313 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010099.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	53314

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      good job on the butchering

I will be following this closely, Jerod. I use the same bags for wet brining a turkey (I know, I know. . .) A suggestion for the future: Get a 5 gallon paint pail from Home Depot or Lowes and line it with the bag before adding the brine and meat. It makes lifting and carrying a snap. You can also CAREFULLY turn the meat inside the bag without spilling. Just open the zip top. Good luck with it.

DEW

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll check on the paint pail. Wasn't sure I'd have the room for the pail. I got 2 pork butts in the fridge with a bunch of other meat. Had to use the little guy.

I now have it in a pan for stability. Looks good.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 17, 2015, 05:28 PM.

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      go to a local bakery the probably get there fruit fillings In 4 gallon food grade buckets with lids and will most likely give you1 or 3 great for brining stuff one for poultry one for pork one for corning beef fit into one another for storage and great for taking water to competitions and they stack on top of each other with the lids on

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Will do. Thanks Bob.

I'm very interested on how this is going to turn out. I was thinking of making Pastrami for Super Bowl because you can smoke Saturday and steam on Sunday just in time for the game.

Comment

Jerod, don't you mean Pastramia? The land where pastrami is accepted as the most erotic of the salted, cured meats?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Too close to Paranormia for me. I'm staying closer to Romania.

Jerod, Will you be hanging these in the PBC? Just curious. I have 2 corned beef points sitting with the rub and plan on trying that on Tues.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure I will be hanging. Then I will go to the grate as necessary for barking up.

Looking good. I really gotta make some more pastrami. This is definitely one of MH's top 5 recipes.

Comment

• Papa Bob
        Papa Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        It is as good as it sounds, great product better than any store bought and a great project for us freaks that like to do it ourselves

Looking good....I guess as good as "corning" beef can look. Have rotated around every 8-12 hours since Saturday (17th), but I've never really seen any meat above the fluid. Going to leave it as is till end of next week. That will give it almost 14 days.

Name:	P1010101.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	54991

Comment

I'm lazier than you. I have a 6lb corned flat ("Choice or higher" it says) in the fridge for pastrami next week. I'll be smoking mine next Thurs or Fri, steaming Fri or Sat.

I bet doing the whole process will make it taste better since it's all you w/ no cheating!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          And then you could look at using an already made curing spice combo, or putting one together like I did.

Huskee, I think the store bought may be more saltier. I would desalinate for 8 hours, then change out the water, and go another 8.

I'm just gong to do overnight with these two chunks, and fill the bag up FULL of water.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Last time I desalinated with one load of water, for 15 hrs. Still salty, but tolerable. This time I planned on doing roughly the same time, just changing the water part way through, about like what you suggested. I'd rather it be a little undersalted since then I can add some to taste if need be. I love salt, but too much is too much.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Exactly.

I just ordered some Prague Powder #1 so I can make my own corned beef and also bacon.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I already had some for sausage making.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd like to try it, but my problem is not enough fridge space for a week of corning something.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          We have a spare little fridge. Great for MAINTAINING temp's since it don't get opened for anything but checking the meat.

One more week, approx. Then desalination for 8-12 hours. When it gets rubbed down, I will let that sit for about 5 days. So this corning may push 15-16 days.

Comment

Wow, Jerod, I just saw this. How timely! Thank you!

Comment

'Twill be dandy, I know this much.

Comment

Desalination. After approx. 16.5 days of corning/curing, it was time to "desaltify." Which reminds me, if someone donned corned beef as a garment, would that be considered CorningWare??
              The meat had a nice sweet mild spicy aroma to it. Hard to describe.

Name:	P1010111.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	59606

Comment

Rub Time. After 11.75 hours in water, it was time for da rub. Today being Tuesday, I plan to hang in the Pit Barrel either Friday afternoon, or Saturday, depending on the jizz-obb.

I substituted Dark Chile Powder for the Paprika since I was out of Paprika. I didn't have enough rub after the flat to do the point, and I was out of coarse black pepper, so the point got regular black pepper (2T instead of 4), not unleaded. I didn't layer the rub, just covered the meat, and patted down after an application of oil. Didn't want to go too thick. Plus, running out, I figured I had enough anyway.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010114.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	59609 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010115.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	59610 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010118.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	59611

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 3, 2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here