Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse-reverse-sear ribeye cap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse-reverse-sear ribeye cap!

I don’t know why. But it works as well as reverse sear.

This is the SFR stuff that was on sale 50% off last winter. It’s a damn fine looking piece of meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61C1075A-AFFB-413D-85EF-122FEF266794.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	532968

I got the Grill Grates up to about 600* and tossed that sucker on there, seared both sides for about 2 minutes each.

Name:	592D65A1-30C2-47DF-ABB7-7AA6793232A7.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	532970

Name:	19AB3235-537F-4095-9FA5-B2C6FB7BB9B7.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	532969

I pulled the GrillGrates and rack, dropped in the diffuser, put the regular grate back on at the higher level, and choked both vents closed the lid; the egg stabilized at around 250*, and about 25 minutes later the steak read 130* at one end and 140* at the other.

Name:	D361A3A6-162E-4831-B1B8-DEC0093FBED1.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	532971

I would describe this as "luxurious". You get the flavor of a ribeye, and the texture of a filet. It’s an expensive way to get there, but everyone should try this once!

Great looking steak.

Comment

Thanks for the description and photos. I have some rib caps in the freezer and have been trying to decide how best to,proceed with them. Now I think you have shown me the plan of action.

Comment

Great write up. I have always thought of cooking a steak like this, I was always afraid that smoke would get a sooty taste and effect the overall flavor. I am going to give this a try on my next steak.

I love the Ribeye cap, it is my favorite cut on the cow. You have described it perfectly, Luxurious.

Great cook Mosca! Thanks for sharing. BTW, that table looks gorgeous!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I have seen some online that have a granite or concrete insert. That is what I am going to go with when designing my grilling center. Mosca

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a stone place close to where I work, maybe I could pick up something there. I wouldn't want concrete, this table is too nice for that.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah for sure, something like granite would look gorgeous. Mosca

Looks beautiful Mosca!! I got mine during that same 50% off deal. I just did mine last week and it was superb. I smoked at about 225 for just under a hour and then seared it on the open fire of oak wood. The wife and I were both more than just impressed!

Funny thing the wife was browsing through one of the SRF catalogs the other day and asked me to show her the steak I made (the rib eye cap) in the catalog. So I showed her and she goes OMG you paid that much for that??
        I explained to her the pick six deal and I got it 50% off. Then she says even if it was full price it was worth it it was that good. Not something we can do all the time but it won't be the last time I get rib eye cap from SRF.

Comment

Nice job on a favorite piece of meat !!!

Comment

I've known that to be called front sear. It's actually my preferred way, better control over the end temp. I do it with burgers too. Nice work!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              PaynTrain it's great! You sear until the sear looks exactly like you want, then you let the temp rise to your target slowly by finishing indirect (vs sear to your target regardless of how it looks). It works!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Isn't that a variation on David Parrish 's method?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF precisely!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here