Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Chuck roast, not impressed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Chuck roast, not impressed.

Ok so I did a 7 1/2 # Chuck roast. Not impressed unlike the first one I did, I loved it. Maybe it was the stall.
    Anyway, here's what I did.
    I'm not sure how it should be cooked properly. Weather hot and fast or low n slow.
    Any suggestions?

July 13, 2018
    Chuck roast, 7 1/2#, rotisserie
    Special cut at butcher for rotisserie.
    Cow crust paist.
    Goal - Cook between 200° - 225° until IT is about 157°. About 4 hours.
    Dry brined the day before.
    Lighting Used Stubb's.
    Starting with 12-14 well-lit coals, and add them to about 3/4 chimney of unlit coals. Leave all vents opened fully until temp at grate level reads around 175 F. Then close your vents to about "a crack" on the bottom and ¼ open on the top vents. Once the grate temp reaches anywhere from 200-225, add the meat right from the refrigerator.

Rubbed with the paist.
    Tied it with string into a good log.
    12:30 put meat on with grill temp at 175°. Closed down vents.
    At 12:45 temp was 219°.
    1:00 temp was 225°. I'm closing down vents a bit.
    1:30 temp still 225° closed down vents a little more.
    3:00 grill temp 227°.
    3:00 IT 125°.
    Can't get the temp down so I guess there is to much charcoal. SnS was nearly full, about 1 1/2 inches from top.
    4:00 grill temp 224°.
    4:30 IT 142°.
    5:30 IT 148° grill temp 224°.
    6:30 IT 148°.
    Temps been staying around 223°.
    7:30 IT 152°.
    Stalled I know.
    So I kicked up the heat some. I'll see if this muscles me through it.
    Grill temp increased to about 300°.
    8:30 didn't take long to jump up to 170° IT.
    8:30 removed meat. 8 hours.
    Good but not impressed.
    Nothing to brag about.
    Attached Files

Instead of bumping up the temp I think I should have wrapped it in foil because I think it cooked to long.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I did 2 6.5 lbs each, at 225 they took 15 hours total i wrapped somewhere around the 150-160 temp then went till they were probe tender

Comment

What were you looking for with the chuck roast? Sliceable? Pullable? Looks to be juicy enough. Thinking your "rotisserie cut" looks pretty thick so the ratio of meat to bark (and all the external seasonings) would tend to make the slices a little bland without sauce or more seasoning? Rubs don't penetrate the meat much at all so all the center has is the taste of the beef itself. That's not necessarily a bad thing but may not be what you're looking for. Even your "bark" looks a little peaked. No reason to do a chuck roast at 225. Try bumping the temp up to 275 (or more) for dark crusty bark and shorter stall. Good luck!

Comment

If you were looking for PULLED beef, it needs a higher internal temp. Up to like 205 or until probe tender. Wrapping would help after bark is set.

Comment

Looks unfinished to me. I'm not really sure what product standard you were looking for. I'm also not sure why you rotisserie'd it v a straight cook.

i don't know your gear, was there a lid on? I'm thinking not. I would have cooked it way hotter. 220 is too low IMHO. At that temp it will stall out forever. The Roto would make for great char.

It seems as you were caught between two cooks. Meaning a method for pulling but using a roto. You would have needed more time or higher heat. Also a wrap or cover. HorseDoctor is on the job above.

Comment

If you were shooting for pulled beef, 170 internal temp would be way undercooked. Well I suppose you could cook it and slice it like a roast, chuck is a tough and fatty cut not unlike brisket and is best treated as such. It can handle higher temps closer to 275 and needs to be cooked to probe tender--somewhere around 200 internal. You can then pull it or chop it. If you get the bark set around 160 or 170 there's no harm in wrapping it to help get through the stall if you're getting pressed for time. A simple rub like salt and pepper works best too rather than cow crust which is better suited for rib or loin roasts. Keep trying and good luck!

Comment

HorseDoctor scottranda HouseHomey gabulldog

I like slicing it or pulling it apart in chunks. It wasn't exactly dry. A little juicy.

Chuck's are usually about 2 inches thick like the last one I did, I seasoned them both before tieing them together. It was outstanding. I used Memphis dust. This one cow crust. I had the butcher cut me a fresh one about 6 inches square by about 14 inches long, there abouts.

I like using the rotisserie just because. No real reason. I put it on a Weber kettle 22 inch with a slow n sear and drip n griddle to catch drips.

I think it was going well until it stalled. I probably should have wrapped it but instead I just cranked up the heat. That got it out of the stall. But I think 8 hrs was too long. Just seemed over cooked.

As far as the fat rendering, should I have aimed at a lower or higher temp?
                Last edited by Joetee; July 15, 2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

A chunk that size cooked at 225 for 8 hours was most assuredly NOT overcooked. Even at 275, that piece of meat might easily have gone 10 hours or more and still been sliceable. Pullable even longer! More heat and more time would have rendered fat better as well as melted collagen for a more tender product. More heat & more patience my friend! Good luck!

Comment

Kinda like this thick

Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now you just messing with us! Show off😀😀👏👏

• customtrim
                      customtrim commented
                      Editing a comment
                      HouseHomey nah I prefer to be in the shadows unseen and unheard

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      With meat lime that you just flicked the light switch. 👍

IMO at 170 IT is about when I wrap with just a little beef broth. Then at 195 IT I start checking for tenderness.
                    i love chuckies, and find that usually anywhere between 190-200 I get great tender slices and above that chunks and shredded. Sounds like you just didn’t let it cook long enough.
                    Once you wrap or pan it you can finish it in the oven.

The first picture shows a lot of fat that hasn’t melted which to me says it hasn’t been at temp long enough.
                    Grab another one and try it again...that’s what makes BBQ’ing so fun!!
                    Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; July 15, 2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Joetee
                      Joetee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok so increase grill temp to about 275°? And wrap as soon as it seems to stall.

• Dadof3Illinois
                      Dadof3Illinois commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can raise the temp but I’m usually around 225-240 area. I like a lower temp for these and yes I wrap around 170. I’ve also built a bed of peppers and onions in an aluminum pan and set the roast on it with a little beef broth, it adds a nice flavor to the meat.

customtrim

Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
                      HouseHomey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a beauty!

• gabulldog
                      gabulldog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gorgeous hunk of beef! Like pork shoulder and brisket, chuck needs to be cooked until around 200 +/- 10 degrees when all the fat and connective tissue is rendered and broken down. Overcooked is when they're mushy! It's a fine line sometimes but you'll get it! Cook closer to 275 and wrap it when it looks good to you, it'll be done closer to 8 hours!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_133924.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	532826Click image for larger version

Name:	20180623_203222.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	532827Click image for larger version

Name:	20180623_203306.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	532828Joetee so mine was two pieces yours was one. True you don't have to cook at 225 but in the kamado that is my preferred temp. One piece was used for pulled beef the other piece was cut up into chunks. If I remember right the one pulled was wrapped shortly after the stall hit and kept there till it was tender, the other piece was cut up for burnt ends,so I don't believe I wrapped it just went to probe tender cut it up into cubes and finished it. You can cook at whatever temp you prefer to use but you still want to check for it to be tender . Myself I don't mind the longer cook times at 225, anytime I'm doing something like this it will always be a overnight cook and I plan on it being done 2 hours before I want to eat that includes the rest, if it takes another hour or so I'm covered, as well as holding it for another hour or so.
                    ​​here they are just before wrapping and being done
                    Last edited by customtrim; July 15, 2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• customtrim
                      customtrim commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Joetee you don't have to have a meteorite type bark, I did this for some friends, myself i don't care for it either. You can wrap it before the bark gets set wrapping it will soften it up. One of the best tasting briskets i have done was for the dogs no rub no bark

• Joetee
                      Joetee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You fixed a brisket for the dogs? Wow

• customtrim
                      customtrim commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whenever I find them marked down for quick sale they get it but now maybe just the flat and I keep the point.

I treat chuck a lot like brisket. If you don't want to go past 150 then you would be better off with sous vide for 72 hours in my opinion.

Comment

I recommend dusting it liberally with Montreal steak seasoning and then cook it similarly to a butt. That's about the best bang for my BBQ buck that I have found, and the family loves it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                        HouseHomey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        maybe cuz your right next to the Canadian border... huh?

• Steve R.
                        Steve R. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        More like I'm pretty close to a Kroger, where I can pick up all the McCormick stuff, HouseHomey.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here