Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking over 2 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking over 2 days

I need to split up my short ribs cook and do it over a couple days. Meathead's article at http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._tomorrow.html on splitting up a brisket cook is very informative. My plan is that after I get it up to the desired internal temp (190° which should be between 4-5 hours), I'm going to wrap it in foil like I normally do and then put it in a giant zip lock bag. Then I'll put it in a cooler with ice to cool it rapidly and into the refrigerator where it'll stay overnight. Next morning I'm going to fire up the smoker, get it up to temp, then place the foiled ribs back in and continue with the cook like I normally would. Has anyone else tried a multi-day cook and do you have any advice to share?

Make sure and have some water in the foil when you reheat.

I under cooked some pork ribs just a tad a while back. Little tough, but man, the next day, after one hour in the stove with a little water in foil, and a little more sauce and sizzled under the broiler. Perfection!!!

Comment

That's interesting, so you finished up the carmelization in the oven?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Redid the carmelization. Since they were not under cooked on purpose.

• Marauderer
        Marauderer commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod, is that kinda like, Adapt, Improvise, Overcome to get a great product?

The only time I have ever cooled meat and cooked again the next day was when doing pastrami. I have no advice for you other than I accept samples

Comment

Well, the first part of this cook should've been done by now but I hit the stall. I put the meat in at 7:30pm when the smoker temp was at 275°. According to my graph the internal temp rose steadily until about 11:00pm when it started to stall at 160°. Then over the course of the next 2 hours it rose just 4°. I had decided to use just half a bag of charcoal because I estimated 4-5 hours, but it got colder as the night wore on and the smoker temp was down to 211° before I realized it. Now it's 1am and this 2-day cook is turning into one long night. I took the meat off and threw it into the Cambro, then loaded up the smoker with the rest of the charcoal. But at this point, I'm thinking of wrapping the meat up and then adding some extra time in the foil tomorrow.

Comment

Nighttime temp and humidity, big friends of the stall.

Comment

Yeah, I was trying to be all efficient by saving half a bag because I was only doing half a cook. Ha, forgot about the outside temp. I suppose that's a weakness of the WSM with its thin walls and lack of heat retention. But a good lesson learned. By the way, the smoker temp is back up so I'm gonna try to power through this thing!

Comment

Buck up there Eugene. Loss of sleep and long nights are part of getting a great product from your cook. I was up at 4:45 this morning getting the smoker up and running so we could have some nice Beef Short Ribs (inspired by Eugene) today for the main meal. Hopefully they will be done in 8 hrs. I have never used a crutch and won't be today either.

Comment

Ditto what Marauderer said! I bet you'll have a great bunch of ribs at the end of this cook, Eugene, plus you will have learned a bit more about smoking on your weapon of choice. May your loss of sleep result in a tasty meal and a satisfying nap later on.

Marauderer, good luck with your cook too!

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                  Ditto what Marauderer said! I bet you'll have a great bunch of ribs at the end of this cook, Eugene, plus you will have learned a bit more about smoking on your weapon of choice. May your loss of sleep result in a tasty meal and a satisfying nap later on.

Marauderer, good luck with your cook too!

Kathryn
                  Thanks Kathryn. I started a thread over here on the BSR's.

I bought these back at the beginning of the week and remembered that Huskee told Dew that they could stay in the vacuum bag in the fridge for several days so

Comment

• eugenek
                    eugenek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope it turns out great! Gonna take a look as soon as I figure out what to do here.

Appreciate the support! Just woke up and basically slept through it all. Looking at the graph, the internal temp rose to 177° around 3am and then stayed there for 30 minutes before coming back down to 150°. I'm trying to serve this for lunch which is in 5 hours… Can I salvage this or has it been cooking for too long?

Comment

I think they should be fine. Were they wrapped at all? If not I would wrap and take on up, rest.

Comment

You should be fine since your IT never went into the tender zone. I would go a little off book here, however, and wrap it now until the IT goes to 190° - or even 195° - and then dust them and let them go to above 200°.

Comment

Ok, cleaned out the ash and started the fire again. Gonna wrap like you guys suggest and get the meat back on.

Comment

Let is know how it turns out. And, on the slight chance that it doesn't turn out as you planned, there's always the new "FAILS" thread that Huskee stated yesterday. You could contribute the first photos to that discussion! ;-)

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                            Jerod Broussard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Too funny.

• eugenek
                            eugenek commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Trust me, I was considering that last night haha.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here