Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

48 hr dry age steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 hr dry age steak

Has anyone here tried this dry age technique?

One of the nicest things about knowing a bunch of people who work in finance is occasionally getting invited to places I normally wouldn't be allowed in

That sounds interesting.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm 🤔. Maybe 🤔.

Comment

certainly sounds worthy of experiment.

Comment

Interesting - certainly looks good. Will look up Koji rice.

Comment

Veddy interesting...

Comment

Well, the burning question? Who here will try it first.

Comment

I’d be up for taking a whirl at this. Going to get some ordered and then pick up a tomahawk from sams.

Girlfriend doesn’t like the texture of medium rare so I’ll probably get to eat it all myself. Oh well!

Comment

Originally posted by OSB View Post
                  Has anyone here tried this dry age technique?

https://brobible.com/culture/article...technique/amp/
                  Just ordered some KOJI RICE! Thanks.

Comment

• OSB
                    OSB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can't wait to hear your results. If they have Koji rice at my international market I will be giving it a go soon.

Although I'm not from Missouri, I'm still going to remain in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' camp. I understand and have read about the concept, it's accelerates the job that the natural enzymes would normally do during dry aging, that part I get. What I think is missing is the natural drying of the meat. The dehydration process where you loose 10-15% of your volume is due to evaporation of moisture. That intensifies the flavor of the meat, gives it that umami that the Japanese are always referring to.

I remain skeptical, will look forward to reports from anyone who tries this. For a proper comparison it should be compared to a good old 45 day dry aged piece of meat !!! Now having said all that, hey if something that normally takes weeks can be done in hours....that's genius !!!

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It won't be the same, but that doesn't mean it won't be pleasant. I've used koji to make miso and some kind of Indonesian ferment whose name I can't recall at the moment. Good stuff. But not dry-aged beef.

If it works as advertised it could save money. Buying dry aged steaks is always expensive and to do it yourself you need a big chunk of meet so you can trim off the outer parts. This would work on any steak even if it is already trimmed down meaning you don't have to buy an extra 2-3lbs of fat/trimmings to get what you want.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK, I've done three subprimals (2 rib roasts, 1 loin roast) using the Umai bags. Yes, you lose weight. But from what I can tell, you'd lose that same weight while cooking something that was not dry-aged with normal methods. I think it's actually a wash in terms of yield. And the result is much better.

The pellicle tastes good. If it's too tough, use it to make stock. Or give the dogs a treat!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree, it’s a matter of taste but I like the pellicle, I leave maybe 50% of it on my steaks. Think of it as jerky, that’s essentially what it is !!

I recently learned about Koji from a Bon Appetit video here. In this video they experimenting with “dry-aging” various proteins like steak…

I am dubious of the dry age flavor aspect, though the drying clearly works.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here