Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack of Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack of Beef Short Ribs

First time smoking beef short ribs. Ordered a 4-rib plate at my local grocery and asked that they cut it in half across the bone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DJP0514.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	531143

The one on the right is as received. I have trimmed all the fat and silver skin from the one on the right (plenty of fat and connective tissue running through the meat and I wanted to maximize contact with the rub). After trimming the second half, seasoned both with Killer Hogs AP Rub (salt, pepper, garlic) then hit it well with Meathead's Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust. Let it dry marinate for about 2 hours before placing on the smoker.

Name:	_DJP0523.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	531144

Camp Chef Smoke Pro PG24 DLX Pellet Grill loaded with pecan pellets. 225℉. After 3 hours, here's how they looked.

Name:	_DJP0525.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	531146

Wrapped in foil and continued another 3 hours, then let them rest for an hours in a cooler. Final result:

Name:	_DJP0529.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	531145

Super tender and juicy with a flavorful bark and just enough spice from the rub. These bad boys are going into regular rotation at my place!

Beautiful. One of my favorites as well.

Comment

Very tasty lookin'. We prefer them to brisket.

Comment

• DavePruett
        DavePruett commented
        Editing a comment
        I am leaning toward these and chuck as a (arguably) better alternative to brisket. If nothing else, a whole brisket or even the flat is just way to much for my wife and I and it does not seem to hold us as well the next day as the other cuts.

Good looking cook on one of my favorite cuts of meat.

Comment

Gotta love shorties, nice write up !!

Comment

Awesome! Short ribs rival bacon as my favorite meat!

Comment

• DavePruett
            DavePruett commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe we should try doing these with a bacon weave. 😀🥓

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree short ribs rule.

VERY nice! One of my fav's as well.

Comment

Nice job!
            did you cook to a temperature or just by time?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Neither! Actually the best way is to cook until the ribs are "probe tender"! See Aaron Franklin’s YouTube video on beef ribs for a demo on what probe tender is.

• DavePruett
              DavePruett commented
              Editing a comment
              As HorseDoctor said, I cooked until probe tender. They were almost there at 5 hours total, but I have them another hour. They probably only needed 15-30 min, but I started working on something else and the hour went by before I noticed.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here