Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib-Eye Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib-Eye Cap

All knowing wife just handed me an article from New York Magazine about a steak that is essentially that delicious outer fatty part of the Rib-Eye...the cap. Anyone familiar with how to do this? The article talks of an NYC steak house called The Bowery and a $52 price tag. I'll pass on that! But I love the idea.

I'm really proud of my rib-eye, that I have 150% learned to cook through this site. Now, I'm looking to branch out and frankly - to impress the wife.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Will a butcher give you just the cap? I'd love to take a swing at making it.

Here's the article: http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/01/st...t-company.html

As always, would love your alls opinions.

Gratefully yours.

-Chris.

I think Meathead shows that as an option on his prime rib page.

Yep, on the right, towards the bottom in the link below

There are some tricks to learning how to cook a perfect prime rib, tenderloin, round, rump, and other beef roasts and we have assembled them all in one place! Discover our secrets for ensuring it is cooked right from end to end and with a deeply flavored crust in this ultimate prime rib recipe.

Comment

I would roll it and treat it like a prime rib. I have been eyeing them at Snake River Farms.. Crazy expensive though.

Comment

You can buy a whole rib-eye from BJ's, Costco, etc. and cut the cap yourself, then cut the rest of the rib-eye up into steaks.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That would surely be the smartest way to go. I have my eye on whole NYStrip loins at my local supermarket, $3.76/lb, sliced free. Can't beat that with two sticks. All they have now are "Swift", which = Select. Waiting for the "Excel", which = Choice.

I'll chime in with something that might help. As the ribeye cap has a better distributed marbling than the eye(usually), you can buy a lesser grade of prime and still get excellent results with the cap, as the marbling sort of "up grades" it. The leftover eye would make deadly pastrami(thanks Huskee!). Or, you could cut a baseball cut(where the thickness equals the width). Normally, this would not really be possible, but if you are just using the eye, it would make killer and unique reverse seared steaks. Bacon wrapping might help here. A bit of béarnaise, some pomme fritz, and happy endings should result. Just a few musings...

Comment

• Chris_Ryan
          Chris_Ryan commented
          Editing a comment
          you made me so hungry with this post...

Thank you everyone! This is really helpful! I'm on a mission and as soon as I have it bought (by any means) I will let you know and do the step-by-step on the cook.

Comment

Just one further thought. If you do what I suggested, and buy an entire rib-eye from a discount club, you will probably pay only slightly more than buying just the cap from SRF. At that point all those rib-eyes are practically free, or at least a bargain.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here