Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different Thickness Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Thickness Ribeye

I'm preparing to cook some Ribeyes on my 22 inch Weber kettle with slow and Sear. Going to cook them at 225 and then sear them. One of the steaks is a 1.5 inch thick Cowboy ribeye the other steaks are one inch thick rib eyes. I'm going to put the cowboy ribeye on first. What temperature should it be before I put on the rest of the steaks if I want them all to finish medium-rare?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_124658.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	529057

I like to take my steaks off the grill at about 115 F. I would throw them all on at once, and let the other steaks rest, off the grill while the thick one reaches the optimal temp. You are searing again anyway. I don't think there will be that big of a difference in baking time.

Comment

Name:	20180708_143907.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	529226 The steaks came out of the fridge at about 38 degrees. I cooked the thicker one until it got to about 65 degrees before I put on the smaller ones. If I had to do it again I'll probably wait till about 68 or 70 degrees before I put the small ones on. Overall it turned out rather well.

Name:	20180708_143725.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	529225

Comment

Looks great to me!

Comment

Looks pretty durn good! I'ld eat any, or all of them (eventually)!

Comment

HorseDoctor might eat em all, but I’ll take the one on the right please.

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              Shotgun ribeye on the bottom with the large amount of cap!

Man that’s a bunch of good looking meat, yummy !!! I do agree with Spinaker, why guess when one beats the other? Just remove when they get up to temp then reverse sear. Either way good job !!

Comment

Yeah im with the band here. Put them all on together and remove as needed. Much easier than trying to figure out when to put thinner cuts on.

looks like you handled it just fine though. Some good looking beef.

Comment

We cook by temp and not by time, unless we're are baking. With that said... I'd at that! Especially the bottom one!

Comment

Yep I am on the 115F band wagon also. Perfect temp to pull then sear quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                    HorseDoctor might eat em all, but I’ll take the one on the right please.
                    Plus 1....

Comment

Was hoping to get them all to 115 together and then finish with the sear. Was trying to avoid having the steaks resting. Turns out the smaller ones got to 115 when the big one was at 113. Did cold grate for the sear and got them all to 130 close enough not to matter. Tasted great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here