Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Eye Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Eye Caps

Found one lonely pack of USDA Prime rib eye caps the other day at Costco. Hadn’t had that before, so I couldn’t just leave them there. Our kiddo was at a birthday party, so two steaks got kosher salt and freshly ground pepper tonight, froze the other 2 for later this month. Fired up 15 briquettes for the 26” with SNS, it was a windy day and temps settled around 240F while I brought the steaks up to temp. Also got another half chimney ready during this time. When mine hit 127F and her’s hit 115F IT I removed the lid, pulled the probes, moved the steaks to the back and put the white hot 1/2 chimney on top of what was already in the SNS. Finally, I put the grill grates upside down over that and let it breathe for 5 min and get piping hot. Then I seared each side around 3.5 - 4 min. Really really good.
    Attached Files

Can't argue with that!

Comment

Beautiful. I was hungry before. Now I’m starving.
      Love the steak knife too.

Comment

love em

Comment

Looked like good sizes of meat til ya put them on that big honkin grill. Sure came out lookin good!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like I was making sliders! Each one was ~3/4lb.

My favorite steak right now.

Comment

So just what is a rib cap? I've seen them infrequently in Costco or Meijer, but I end up reaching for full rib eyes or rib eye roast if I'm gonna go low and slow... These look like they'd finish fairly quickly. Color me curious! Flavorwise, did it have as much as a good rib eye steak? More or less fat?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              If you look at a prime rib cut cross-wise, you'll see a strip of meat on the opposite side of the rib-bone, in the shape of a crescent. That's the spinalis, and it is very good!

• abandonedbrain
              abandonedbrain commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent info, thanks, friends!

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              The restaurant I bartend at has Ribeye Cap Steak on the summer chops menu. I've taken a couple home to grill. Delicious.

Looks absolutely perfect! Had my first cap of rib eye on Sunday they are amazing!

Comment

I love Spinalis Dorsi

Comment

Man I need to pay more attention when at Costco!

Comment

That's funny. I just did 2 of the same ones from Costco last Sunday for the first time as well. They are now my absolute favorite.

Comment

Love that steak but never see it in Canada. I have bought and cooked it in the US and it is great

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here