Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stacy’s Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stacy’s Brisket

My wife has had much input into how this brisket gets cooked, so I’m calling this method "Stacy’s Brisket" .... this is the recipe she gave me and I’m quoting her :-)

1. Buy best available brisket .... I bought Painted Hills brisket from the butcher shop, which is Prime Plus
    2. Dry brine for 24 hours
    3. Rub = 3 tbsp coarse black pepper, 3 tbsp granulated garlic, 1 tbsp Chili powder, 1 1/2 tbsp mustard powder, 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp chipotle chili
    4. Cook that puppy at 225 for a long time
    5. See the stall happen and start panicking
    6. Pull when probe tender
    7. Hold in Faux Cambro for at least an hour
    8. Slice and serve

Note: for a 14.5 lb brisket, trimmed, I only needed about 2/3 of the rub to cover it liberally.

We haven’t got out of the stall yet .... Panic! And the fireboard shows that stall and how crazy it is

Click image for larger version  Name:	711CA426-2D96-43EE-8783-1DB539EF269A.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	526728Click image for larger version  Name:	D2A68156-24CC-4AFC-84E4-68859A016508.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	526729Click image for larger version  Name:	349E709C-71BF-4165-8F80-E9AB0F15B86C.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	526730Click image for larger version  Name:	E891E51B-B187-4671-8A98-90290EB11AE3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	5.10 MB ID:	526731Click image for larger version  Name:	8B7DA460-44A8-4157-9D96-FB4385807B94.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	5.37 MB ID:	526733Click image for larger version  Name:	BA617472-03DD-4E74-B4A6-496353844D3A.png Views:	1 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	526732
    Last edited by ecowper; July 4, 2018, 10:13 AM.

Seems like your wife and mine share a similar supervisory streak when it comes to cooking. Had to remind her a couple of nights back that I was cooking all the time when she was 14.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Stacy’s always telling me how to cook ribs, especially

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that's an ongoing topic here too. Charlotte likes them "flavored"; I like to taste the pig. And smoke level. And then there's the matter of the definition of "done"! ;-)

Can't say life is boring, though!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF flavored? Like how?

Good luck, that’s a nice hunk of meat !! Hope you have a great 4th !!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That brisket is driving me crazy .... totally still in the stall

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      As they say in The Hitchikers' Guide: Don't Panic!

Looking great so far ecowper And you got a couple of beautiful pups too. Although seeing the gray around their mouths I know they ain’t youngins.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper
      How wonderful to meet yer sweet doggies, amigo!
      Please, give em my love!

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice ecowper That’s about what age I thought they were. Give them all the love in the world. They deserve it.
      Happy 4th my friend.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      They remind me of our Ginger and Shadow. sniff

Guess I can count myself lucky!

Smokey only circles figure eights round my feet constantly, hopin His Treats are done, but normally offers zero input/guidance/criticism, durin our cooks...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I've (thus far) been much relieved, an delighted by th fact that Smokey hasn't jumped up on any active cookers; I am absotively, posilutely, plumb dang mortified by how badly he would instantly get hurt, but, apparently, he's smarter than all that!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Dunkin is the one that would be dumb enough to put his nose on the cooker .... so far he hasn’t, but I worry about it.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We haven't had any incidents either, but I think Mr. Bones you saw one of them up on that stainless table with two cookers on it.

Put a pot of beans onto cook .... riff on Meathead’s Texas Beans

Click image for larger version

Name:	22D9552D-A397-4978-ADB8-B25E9F38BC20.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	526822
    Attached Files

Comment

Ribs are on ..... dry brined since 4 AM. On the Hasty-Bake with mulberry wood (thanks @Huskee). Put some MMD between the fridge and the Hasty-Bake.

Name:	C05D74CC-CE3A-4993-9E1A-54171DECE926.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	526882Click image for larger version

Name:	EA3532E8-EC88-43B3-BC07-42B4D27CB54C.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	526883

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice color - red meat!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF I love how pork ribs look after they’ve dry brined for a day

Great combo you got going. Those beans go wonderful with Brisket!!

Comment

Whatever it takes to get 'er done.

Comment

So, don’t freak out or panic during a brisket cook when the brisket temp starts dropping. It’s normal in the stall. Normal.

Easier said than done, of course.

Name:	9AAD489C-0AF5-40CC-A6DE-CDACB600CA35.png
Views:	114
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	527016

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Course.
            Lookin at yer chart, yer only 2.9° different, point vs flat, an only a few degrees, (in theory) from Probe Tender.
            I don't think I'd call fer a Warthog, with Jelly, nor a Spectre, to hot up yer AO, at this late point...Yer almost home...

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones it’s been a pretty standard cook .... I hit probe tender a couple minutes ago ... now it’s wrapped and holding in a 170F oven. Biggest thing I wanted people to see is that downward curve in the stall ... IT IS NORMAL

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, happens いつもitsumo (Everytime), Purty Much...
            Excellent Tutorial!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here