Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

July 4th Eve Tomahawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 4th Eve Tomahawks

Why wait for the 4th to have a kick-ass Tomahawk? (Besides, I have a slab of short ribs going in the smoke at 6AM tomorrow.)

Nothing too special other than I saw these choice tomahawks on sale for $9.99/lb so I just had to pick them up for supper tonight. Only had time for about a two hour dry brine, then layered on some garlic powder, McCormick's Brown Sugar and Bourbon Rub to help with the bark, and finished somewhat heavy with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. (Yeah, I like their rubs because they are almost identical to what I would make anyway.)

Cooked indirect til they hit about 120F IT, then seared over the coals (made screaming hot with the aid of a hair dryer.) Say what you want about a CharGriller Pro, but it is one of the best grills on the market in my opinion when used like this and not a bad COS if you can tame the beast.

I've been experimenting with how to layer rubs lately, and the results from tonight will be put to use on tomorrow's short ribs.

The results? Well, see for yourselves. (The dogs, Molly and Roadie, certainly approved.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180703_191422.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	526472
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180703_193206.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	526473
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180703_171825.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	526474
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180703_201414.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	526475
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180703_201408.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	526476
    Last edited by boftx; July 3, 2018, 10:06 PM.

Awesome! Who doesn't love a good Tomahawk? $9.99/lb is a great deal.

Happy Fourth!

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      And the same to you!

Looks gorgeous, man. Hard to argue with those results! Most importantly, the pups are happy

Comment

Mouth is watering.

Comment

Home run. Love the salt dunes in that Montreal.

Comment

I love a tomahawk! Always had this hankering to have a party and serve several of these on each table teepee'd in the middle.of the table.

Comment

Great looking steaks!

Comment

.....give a dog a bone !!!

Comment

Yeah, they look terrific. Would jump on a deal like that if I could find it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here