Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategy for do ahead Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy for do ahead Brisket

I’m guessing this has been discussed before, but a I couldn’t find.

I am tasked for a brisket, for a mid day party on the 4th. I have not done a lot of briskets in the past, but my experience shows at least 12hours @ 225 in my BGE, for a full packer. I could risk putting to cook before bed on Tuesday night (I have failed at this before) or cook on Tuesday. If I cook the day before, what the best way to store, slice reheat etc? I’m sure this won’t yield a great bark, but can at least make it moist.

other thoughts:
    SousvideQue?
    Smoke quickly at much higher temp?

I would cook it at about 275 F. Then wrap it when you would like, let it sit in the cambro for a few hours, then allow it to cool quickly. I like to shock in ice water, but for brisket the can be a challenge. So, I think you should cook the brisket with the point and the flat separated, then vac-seal and shock. Then you can reheat via Sous-vide, or you can open the bags, wrap in foil and place in a 350 F oven.

When I am making brisket for my office, I re-heat in vac sealed sous vide bags at 165 F for a couple hours, just to get to a safe temp.

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you slice before sealing or at serving?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Slice at serving. SierraBBQGuy

Do not pre-slice ever. The meat will begin to oxidize the minute it comes in contact with the air. Keep it in one piece. Re-heat via sous vide (my preference) or via a warm oven.

Comment

I was just reading up on the Sous vide que brisket method. That uses a flat, not a whole packer. If I tried this method (Cantwell) should I separate the point, and cook in a separate bag? My brisket is a whopper, 21lbs!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        My guess is that you'd need to. You might want to see whether cutting it across the piece where the point starts would fit in your bags. Might give you two manageable pieces: only flat and flat+point.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here