Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9.5lb Round Sirloin Tip Roast - what do I do with this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sjwebb15
    commented on 's reply
    Great news, Flavorsavor! It is good to know brisket can be found regularly in Raleigh. Out of curiosity, did you happen to check the Sam's in Morrisville? I will be in Durham later this month and was hoping to smoke a brisket while I'm back. The Morrisville location is a lot closer for me.

• Flavorsavor
    commented on 's reply
    Yes sir, I do. You are forgiven.....this time. Jk. My winter stock-up didn't last me through the winter, so I'm hunting up some hold-over bargains until I re-load on the bargain kford on memorial day weekend.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    @Flavorsavor, forgive me if you know this already, but Home depot and Lowe's (not sure about Sam's) regularly have 50% off on sales on Kford at the main summer US holidays- Memorial day, 4th July, Labor day. The twin 20lb packs are usually around $10 for 40lbs.

• Flavorsavor
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah pork butts were definitely a gateway drug for me too. Once I realized what was possible on the grill I fell right on down the ol smoked-meat rabbit hole.
    So I checked out a super walmart in Garner and the other Sam's in town. Both had brisket as well, but super-walmart's were select. The other Sam's on South Saunders street had two giant and beautimous briskets and a whole flat, both choice. I asked the guy behind the counter, and he said they always keep whole briskets in stock. They sold pork butt's for 1.98 a lb on regular, and said the occasionally mark down their meat. Also they sell the 40 lb packs of Kingsford for 18 instead of 20 dollars. Isn't much, but was enough to lock me in as a Sam's club member now.

• sjwebb15
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely let me know what you find out, Flavorsavor. Does it sound like the Sam's on Capital regularly has whole packers? Or you are just getting lucky this one time. I find it somewhat strange that in a state with such a BBQ culture they are so difficult to find. I know BBQ means pork in NC, but once you start smoking meat, you want to smoke EVERYTHING. Not just pork. At least that's what happened to me....

• Flavorsavor
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I've been to the Costco on Wake Forest Rd here in Raleigh. They do have excellent meat selections, but all they stock are flats at around 7 dollars a lb. I visited sams, their choice briskets looked really nice at 3.98. I found some choice briskets at walmart too for 3.68 a lb, but they seemed thin and the point on the what I saw was tiny, like some of it had been cut off. I've heard of double R and there are few stalls out at the farmers market that I'd love to try, but like you say, the want the dollars. If I can't find any nice briskets at the area Walmarts I might just join Sams. This conversation and upcoming bbq have led me on an all out-brisket hunt.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    It will slice unless you cook the heck out of it, then it starts to fall apart and can be pulled.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Does chuck work well for slicing like a brisket flat, or does it mainly fall apart if smoked like a brisket?

• David Parrish
    replied
    Chuck roast is THE best cut if you can't find brisket. In fact, it might even be.... *shudder*..... better

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Chuck roasts aren't well known for a medium rare/medium type roast cook. As you found out, lots of connective tissue and such similar to pork butts. Most of the time they're turned into pot roast, or in BBQ land pulled beef!

• sjwebb15
    commented on 's reply
    Have you tried Costco? Their meat is usually top notch and comparable to Sam's. I used to be a member but moved and it was no longer convenient. That was before I had a BBQ though, so I wasn't on the lookout for Brisket. If you're really desperate (and made of money!) you could try Double R Cattle in Hillsboro. http://www.doublercattleservices.com...sandHours.aspx - I got a turkey there that was top notch, but haven't tried their beef. Be aware it is grass fed...

• SwampDonkeyzBBQ
    replied
    You can take it to fall apart tender with some nice jus, or take it to 130 and then finish with a nice sear. Either way is delicious.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    LMAO!!!

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for doing this... you helped us all.

• Flavorsavor
    commented on 's reply
    I've been calling around in preparation for a big bbq next month. Sam's club on Capital Blvd in Raleigh is the only store I've found that say they carry them, 3.98 a lb for choice. That lines up with what you were saying. I'm not a member at the moment, but I may have to reconsider. I've heard tale that wal-marts stock them too but I'm not up to risking wal- mart meat, even though they own Sams.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis