Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9.5lb Round Sirloin Tip Roast - what do I do with this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	58123331.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	52692 Next time they ask for well done........think of the kittens!

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I am definitely stealing this!!! Ha, ha, ha, ha!

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO!!!

Too funny!!!!!

Comment

Alright, I am about to go live on this cook! If anyone wants to follow along, you can watch the pit and two temperature probes at http://sjw-hm.duckdns.org:7503. Orange line is pit probe, green lines are food probes, blue shading is fan output. Enjoy! (and let me know if you see any temperature spikes!)

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Tried opening this, but I think I'm too late. Sounded like a pretty cool app/site.

• sjwebb15
        sjwebb15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Dr. ROK, you can see the interface by checking my post on the signature site - http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...10-01-14/page2. That particular cook was a pork butt. Most of the temperature fluctuations were my fault. I was using the end of a bag of lump with a bunch of small pieces, I think as the cook went on, the ash from these would clog the air flow and the thermostat would have to kick it into overdrive. However, no harm done to the butt, it was the best I've done I think.

Originally posted by sjwebb15 View Post
      Alright, I am about to go live on this cook! If anyone wants to follow along, you can watch the pit and two temperature probes at http://sjw-hm.duckdns.org:7503. Orange line is pit probe, green lines are food probes, blue shading is fan output. Enjoy! (and let me know if you see any temperature spikes!)
      SO COOL!

Comment

So how did they turn out? I've been following this!

Comment

Howdy guys. Sorry for the delay, but the results were mixed. The medium rare roast had GREAT flavor, but I think I failed on the trimming. I should have split the roast along the muscles, removed all the membranes etc, because they were still really tough. So, good flavor, and good texture in bites without the connective tissue, but I will be spending a lot more time trimming next time.

I took the other one off at about 193, because it felt soft when I checked it. The texture was good in terms of fork-tender, but it was dry and will be going into soup. I think it should have come off long before 190+. I would be willing to try it again, but it will require close monitoring once it hits the 170+ range. I would have done that this time, but unfortunately I wasn't able to be around during that part of the cook (i could monitor pit/food temp from my phone though!)

So, ultimately I wasn't thrilled with the results on either one, but it was a learning experience. Next time I see I round sirloin tip roast, I will have a much better idea of what I am getting into, and if I choose to buy it, I think I can make some great meat with this cut. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughtful input. Hopefully this thread helps some other poor, hapless soul and they won't repeat my mistakes!

Comment

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            Just gives you more experience to do further experimentation with!

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for doing this... you helped us all.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Chuck roasts aren't well known for a medium rare/medium type roast cook. As you found out, lots of connective tissue and such similar to pork butts. Most of the time they're turned into pot roast, or in BBQ land pulled beef!

I know I'm late on this party, but I live in Raleigh and have been searching high and low for an affordable whole brisket as well. I've checked sams and costco, my only hope left is BJ's. I'm sure I could order one from the Butcher Shoppe or online, but I'd pay well more than I could afford. I stumbled on your post, because I also found a sirloin tip roast for cheap at Harris Teeter, and was looking for ways to do it up this weekend. Funny how that worked out. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone here in the triangle for my search for a whole packer. I'll let you know if I ever have any luck!

Comment

• Flavorsavor
            Flavorsavor commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, I'm glad you posted this, I was considering a low 'n slow chuck roast style as well. Thanks for the info!

I feel so lucky to live in Texas. I can drive one mile to my local HEB and they'll have literally a dozen packer briskets to choose from.

Interestingly though, last week I got the LAST pork butt available at about 4pm on Saturday. Most BBQ restaurants around here don't even serve pulled pork.

Comment

• Flavorsavor
            Flavorsavor commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I've got a friend in Burleson I try to visit as often as possible, he's been a smokehead long before I ever owned a grill. He cooked the first brisket I ever had, as a matter of fact, when we were in the Navy. I'm always jealous of the amazing briskets he's cranking out. Luckily, being in the Carolinas, the availability of PB's, beans, and slaw keep me satisfied.

Hi Flavorsavor. In the past, I purchased a whole brisket at Sam's (one time) so maybe they sometimes get them in? If they do, I bet the don't last long though. If you ever find a whole packer, I would love to hear about it.

Oddly enough, PenskeFile, I am splitting time between NC and TX (Austin area) and enjoy the HEBs here in general. They are great grocery stores! When I move back to NC permanently, I think I am going to have to buy some packers to freeze and take back with me.
          Last edited by sjwebb15; January 29, 2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            @Flavorsavor, forgive me if you know this already, but Home depot and Lowe's (not sure about Sam's) regularly have 50% off on sales on Kford at the main summer US holidays- Memorial day, 4th July, Labor day. The twin 20lb packs are usually around $10 for 40lbs.

• Flavorsavor
            Flavorsavor commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes sir, I do. You are forgiven.....this time. Jk. My winter stock-up didn't last me through the winter, so I'm hunting up some hold-over bargains until I re-load on the bargain kford on memorial day weekend.

• sjwebb15
            sjwebb15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great news, Flavorsavor! It is good to know brisket can be found regularly in Raleigh. Out of curiosity, did you happen to check the Sam's in Morrisville? I will be in Durham later this month and was hoping to smoke a brisket while I'm back. The Morrisville location is a lot closer for me.

You can take it to fall apart tender with some nice jus, or take it to 130 and then finish with a nice sear. Either way is delicious.

Comment

Chuck roast is THE best cut if you can't find brisket. In fact, it might even be.... *shudder*..... better

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Does chuck work well for slicing like a brisket flat, or does it mainly fall apart if smoked like a brisket?

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              It will slice unless you cook the heck out of it, then it starts to fall apart and can be pulled.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here