Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good price for bone-in chuck short ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good price for bone-in chuck short ribs?

I was at Costco and they had one package left of these USDA Prime bone-in Chuck Short Ribs for $9.99 a pound. Seemed like a very good price to me based on what their other cuts of prime were running but I’ve never bought these before. They look great. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do for the 4th. Now I have my answer.
    Attached Files

They look good to me.

Comment

Looks good. Wish they'd sell them here in Oregon.

Comment

That’s the usual price at the Katy Costco Obi-Dan . They also sell whole 4 bone plates cryopacked.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          W.A. Thanks for the tip.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Also want to add that our Whole Foods sells some killer beef chuck ribs. You have to ask for whole plates once again because they cut them into 4” pieces otherwise.

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          My accountant usually advises against Whole Foods but I’ll check them out.

I pay $8 or $9 per pound for choice plate ribs here in Florida at my local butcher shop. Never seen beef ribs at Costco here. $10 per pound doesn't seem too bad. Might be worth asking the butcher if they can sell to you before they cut them apart so you can smoke them in a slab.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably need to go not on a busy Saturday like I did today.

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can go early that is the best time to get something like that before they cut them. And ask if there is a discount for buying a whole case. I have done that with pork bellies before.

Sir, you need to drive over to Humble Costco. Right out in the prime section. Better price
        Click image for larger version

Name:	C857CE67-4238-4763-98C4-881ECF941B74.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	525075

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          And others of us too! MMS?

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm comin' to your house W.A. , I'll help with depletion

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I kind of stopped buying the Costco cryovaced ribs. What I kept getting were plates that had at least one whole rib section pure fat. It's really difficult to see in their translucent packaging. I prefer either my butcher or Whole Foods (WF being expensive)

I bought the cryo "2 pack". They are HUGE and average 1 lb per rib. $4.69/lb Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	525533

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a great price. And they look awesome.

Wish my Costco had these. All I saw there were boneless short ribs.

Comment

I recently pulled the trigger on a cryovac 2-pack for $4.99/lb. at my favorite butcher shop. They were Choice, not Prime, but I don't know that it matters with such a fatty hunk of meat.

And I would definitely try to get them in the 4 bone pieces. A big part of the experience for me is slicing those huge things apart before serving.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here