Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip question

hi all,

believe it it or not I’m doing my first tri tip ever. I have about a two pound First Light wagyu cut. I’m following the recipe on the main site here and will low n slow it to about 115. My question is for the sear. Would I be better off taking it off the grill and letting the coals get hot and then sear or just transfer to my hot ass griddle in the kitchen and sear there?

Do it with the coals man, real fire! Just did one, not wag you, but do it with fire!

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      The wagyu was only five more bucks a pound for a total of $10. Its the NZ wagyu.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I do despise spell check. Wag you. Ya know it’s got a ring to it though.

I like fire due to the not so flat surface.

Comment

I agree with above, pull it, wrap/tent to keep warm and get the coals screaming hot. Sounds Guuud!

Comment

Okay...okay....that’s the plan man.

Comment

Dry off the surface so that you don’t have water/moisture to impact the sear. And, if you have some beef love, paint it with beef love! If not, olive oil works well.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            Beef love? Broth or tallow?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Beef love == tallow .... I render mine from brisket and short rib trimmings. A tablespoon will be plenty.

A two pounder should fit on top of your charcoal chimney. So go ahead and light the coals in a chimney and have it ready when the meat hits your desired temp.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            You won't regret getting a chimney. I've had black widow problems on an adobe brick home and put a propane torch on the end of a broom stick - that's the vision I have of your coal lighter.

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            JGo37. This what I have and it may make your life easier. Lol

Bernzomatic 19425 JT850 Self-Igniting 20,000 BTU Outdoor Torch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008ZA0F..._Ci6nBb01V720X

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've probably walked by something like that at Harbor Freight 100 times. I'll have to go look. Thanks!

Sear it over coals! I don't think the griddle helps you in this case...

Comment

I don't always use fire but when I do I use real wood. Stay hot my friends!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0006.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	524238

Comment

I have done many tri-tips and it seems to me that they are more tender cooked to a higher temperature, around 130 F before searing. How was yours Frozen? Anyone else?

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting as mine was disappointingly tough. It wasn’t frozen and I dry brined it for 24 hours.

I sear first. 3 minutes a side, flip and mop. I also sear the third side at least once. I get the carmelization I want and then move it over to the opposite side, close the cover and finish it indirect.

Comment

1.Let sit for 20 minutes tented with foil while coals and searing pit get hot.
                2. Dry Off Tri Tip and coat with olive oil.
                3. If your pit is screaming hot flip every 30 seconds until target temp reached. I like 130 IT shooting for 135 after slight rest.
                4. I seem to get better results with the upside down grill grate finish over the cold grate.

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	524965

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	524966

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here