Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Brisket - What, Where and How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking a brisket is essentially turning a bad cut of meat into something delicious. You need to talk to Jerod Broussard, he can take a select grade brisket and turn it into something mouth watering. No idea where he gets them from though.

Comment

Baby Back Maniac just released a vid where he had Harry Soo on & they did a cook off of briskets, SRF, Prime, choice & select. You can see the results. The Waygiu came out on top. The prime & choice were Costco. Don’t remember where the select came from. Established, you get what you pay for. Catch BBM on you tube.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Wagyu is more forgiving. Select is unforgiving and handicapped from the jump. You get what you pay for, but you can improve on lower quality meat with great technique.

Three day dry-brine with probably a little more than 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt per pound. Get it barked, more heat towards the fat cap if possible.

Comment

CrewCutter im also central jersey. Ive gotten them at whole foods a couple of times, just need to ask for a whole brisket and if they dont have it they will order. The will also give you a buck or 2 off per pound usually if you dont need them to trim it. Ive also heard a lot of people mention costco for brisket but ive only ever seen flats at ours.

The other option of course is to order online from someplace like snake river farms. At 130 bucks for an 11-15lber...you arent going to pay much less in whole foods.

Comment

Here is my PRIME brisket from Costco.Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	524079

Comment

Costco is selling Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket at select locations. I checked at my closest store and the butcher looked at me like I was from Mars. I believe 1 person in Austin and another 1 in Orange County, CA found them. Trying to ioad a picture lifted from FB.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Randy-Phx; June 29, 2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh
            My
            GOD.

I would fall over dead right in the middle of the store.

Move to Texas. There is not a grocery store or meat market in this state that does not always have a good supply of packer briskets. Most larger grocers have multiple grades. Sale prices can be had around the summer holidays like the present one. I am currently smoking a 12 # Prime brisket that I paid $3.59/lb for.

Comment

I regret that I have to do a partial retraction on my recommendation of Snake River Farms. SRF customer service is excellent, as is the quality of the meat. My problem is how they ship the product.

I placed an order a couple of weeks ago to be delivered this past Saturday. Around 2 pm local time FedEx arrives. Luckily my wife heard the driver while she was on the back deck and I was in the basement. The cardboard shipping boxes were blown out. I shot one of the briskets with an IR thermometer, high 50s F; and the surface had started to defrost (was soft). I refused the entire order (3 boxes total); while carrying one of the boxes back to the truck the box gave out entirely and the meat dumped out on the ground. I should add that we had highs in the 90s for a couple of days already. I have no doubt the driver was going to leave the order in the sun on my deck since he was bringing up the third box when I came out.

I immediately left SRF a voice-mail and sent an e-mail including pictures. By 11:30 Monday morning (roughly 90min after they opened) I received a call from SRF CS. After apologizing she asked if I needed the meat by a specific date. I said I needed it for a cook this coming Saturday. She offered to have a replacement order shipped that day to arrive Tuesday, I agreed.

Tuesday morning I have an email saying FedEx will deliver by 10:30 am. Close to 12 with no delivery I contact SRF concerned that FedEx tracking last activity was the arrival of the packages in Indianapolis around 1 am. Again, SRF CS was excellent and kept me informed. Around 6 pm they called and told me my order was on a flight scheduled to land at 8 pm and FedEx was going to deliver that night. That didn't happen. 6:45 this morning FedEx called and asked if I still wanted the delivery. I said they could deliver under the condition that I was going to open and inspect before accepting. They agreed and the order arrived around 10 am. One box was split open; but all of the meat was still rock solid so I accepted them.

Obviously most of the problem is with FedEx. SRF however, bears some responsibility due to how they package the orders. They line a standard cardboard box with insulation and place dry ice bags inside. My previous two orders from SRF were over the winter and I had no problems; but the summer is a different issue.

In summary, will I order from SRF again? Most likely. Will I do so in the summer? Highly unlikely unless they change their shipping, yes I told that to SRF CS. I would also advise (and already have) friends/family the same.

Comment

Partial response from SRF CS:

"We are in the middle of revamping and upgrading our shipping material, to help ensure that our products are being delivered in the same high quality and standards that we hold our products."

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't feel bad, Crown Cow is doing the exact same thing with their shipping practices. You would think the gold standard prices for their meat would command a first rate means of shipping.

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Cow Crowd has really been stepping up with their shipping lately. Better insulated box and much more dry ice. My order that arrived on Tuesday had 25 lbs of dry ice.

got a angus flat at harris teeter a couple weekends ago. best i ever had

Comment

Another benefit of living in Texas! I just finished smoking a 17 pound, whole, USDA choice, brisket that we bought at Krogers for $1.99 per pound. USDA select is $1.49 per pound. They are pretty much readily available, and after proper cooking for 12 to 16 hours, there is nothing better! But y'all have snow in the winter. Maybe we are even.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here