Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big chuckie in the smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big chuckie in the smoker

Rubbed down with salt pepper and mustard seed. Not sure if ill slice or shred yet. Its about 3.5 lbs. cooking it low and slow and plan on wrapping at some point

Click image for larger version

Name:	68790E79-3079-4D5B-BEAF-887E2BD37081.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	521490Click image for larger version

Name:	2038AD5B-CAE6-4945-B5E0-99BF1F78FC3E.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	521491

When you planning on eating that big o hunk of meat. Tomorrow?

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      ssandy_561 hahaha, its been in for a while. I only got round to posting now. So ideally it will be dinner tonight. The original plan was pulled pork but i forgot to thaw the butt last night and no way it will be thawed in time to cook today.

Charles is in the house......

Comment

I need to find a better place to buy beef. The chuckies I get are about half that thickness

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect steak size my favorite

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with ssandy_561. Never got a chuck like that.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        I get most of my beef all at the same time, once a year, when I buy a side. The last few years we've bounced around between different processors, as come of the lockers around us have changed hands or gone out of business when the owners retired. In Oct. I need to order our steaks a little thicker than we got this year.

Great to have qualified help with meat selection. Looks great.

Comment

I've never bbq'd a chuck roast. What's the technique/secret here? You mentioned slicing or shredding. Should I assume you can get to similar tenderness as a pork butt? What's preferred method for serving final product? Very curious and interested to learn more!

Comment

Lots of threads here on it. I basically treat it like brisket. Low and slow until probe tender. I prefer to slice super thin for sammies with some peppers and onions. You can get like pork butt but ive had trouble keeping it moist enough.

If i am going to shred, personally ive found the best way to be to smoke it for an hour or 2 at 225 then put it in the pressure cooker on a wrack with some beef broth

Comment

Here are the two I just did this past weekend. I cooked at 225 the entire way with a water pan so I could save the juice (dogs love it on their food) I wrapped them in paper once they hit 170 let them go to probe tender. Stuck one wrapped up in the cooler for 2 hours and the other one got turned into burnt ends

Being having a light rib dinner today night as well go big tomorrow. Chuckies make a great Sunday dinner, will make some pulled,sliced and burnt ends

Comment

Originally posted by pmorse36 View Post
              I've never bbq'd a chuck roast. What's the technique/secret here? You mentioned slicing or shredding. Should I assume you can get to similar tenderness as a pork butt? What's preferred method for serving final product? Very curious and interested to learn more!
              Here's a great how-to topic, even if you don't use the PBC:
              https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker.

This how-to video is done on a kettle. It's great:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...deo#post276912

Comment

Here's my go-to for pulled chuck. But you want to be in a situation where you don't mind doing some interventions during the cook. Substitute your favorite beef rub for the Dizzy Pig if you don't have it.

Beef makes a great BBQ sandwich but it tends to dry out during the cook. This three stage method using a Dutch oven keeps it tender, moist and flavorful.

Comment

Nice! Thanks, guys!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here