Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid cook Brisket question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid cook Brisket question...

hi all...doing my first while packer brisket and thought it would take 14-16 hours. I started at 10pm last night and set the FireBoard alert if temp went over 235. FireBoard alerted me but I had my phone in silent. Lol. It was at 265 or do for four hours. I got it back to the 220 range since then but it seems like my stall is occurring at 190??? Has anyone experienced this? The probe tests show its almost done but I was expecting it to take a lot longer(I know the temp go away for a bit) and don’t want to take off too early.
    Thanks in advance for comments.

ps-the 185 temp is a bit higher. The probe got Moved
    Attached Files

Any stall is possible from about 145-195 internal. I occasionally get second stalls around 188-193.

Comment

HA! I had this same thing happen to me, yesterday. I am not totally sure why this happens. Other than soothing with the surface evaporation going wonky when the temp changes. I was cooking at around 275 F, then I dropped it to 225 F and the brisket stalled out at about 185 F.

Comment

I agree, let it push through and be patient. That moment of perfect probe tenderness is almost upon you!!! The temp swing shouldn’t amount to anything, I cook mine at 250* as a rule anyway.

Comment

Check your probes. Make sure your not in the fat. Take another probe and stick it in the flat. If it’s like butter then your done. Make sure it in the flat not the point of the brisket. It usually takes me 8 to 9 hours at 250 for about a 10 lb hunk and and 9 to 10 for a 14 lb hunk.
          Sometimes it spikes on mine and low an behold the probe is close to the fat.

Comment

And your not at mid cook for your question, your at end cook question. Just wrap in towels and a cooler and you’ll be good to go. Or oven on low. To hold it till your ready to eat.

Comment

Nothing to worry about, imho. It's hard as hell to ever get an IT close to 200 when you are cooking at 220. Let tenderness be your guide at this point. Personally, if it's tender, I would go ahead and faux Cambro it, rather than let it sit there and struggle to heat up and dry out.

Comment

I pulled about an hour later as it was definitely butterish. Was extremely juicy upon cut. Sliced in two wrapped and troweled in cambros. One surprise placed on client’s doorstep(family member suffering dementia) with instructions not to open for two hours.
                Just bought a fresh country loaf at farmers market for my brisket sandy lunch for me

thanks for all comments. It helps to know I’m not crazy the brisket is. 😂

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly, I have two on right now. Just wrapped in butcher paper. Both crazy.

Great to hear this was a huge success. There is just something about this nailing a brisket. It feels great. And it sounds like it went to a good spot.

Comment

Definitely sounds like it turned out well! Always get at least a small amount of panic when the cook is going against all trends you have become comfortable with!

Comment

I did a brisket flat last weekend. It staled around 185 for a few hours but patience got me to the promised land.
                    Had rave reviews by all my guests. Gotta admit myself, it was great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here