Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrister DEW's Best BBQ Beefribs (short) - Version #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrister DEW's Best BBQ Beefribs (short) - Version #1

The title is a nod to Huskee.

They went on the smoker at 12:46pm. The smoker is set to 260°F to compensate a little for temp swings and the ambient cold here. Smoking over Jack Daniels Barrel Oak chips. I plan to add wood every hour until I wrap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150113_124302.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	52048

Two hours on the smoker. IT 154°F

Name:	20150113_145457.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	52065

Comment

Keep on keepin on! Looks great so far. Gonna try one with Tatonka Dust this weekend myself!

Comment

Woohooo!!!

Comment

Out of the stall yet? Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Comment

Just about, I think. Following the APL recipe, I just wrapped, meat side down on top of a mixture of honey, beef base, water, brown sugar, butter and water. I took the probe out to wrap it better. I also boosted the heat to 275°F and set the timer for 45 min. When I unwrap and put them back in, I will reinsert the Mav probe.

Comment

I unwrapped after 45 mins with the IT at about 183°F. The unwrapping took some time and it's cold out. After adding a bit more rub, per the recipe, and putting them back in unwrapped, the IT dropped to 181°F and stayed there for quite awhile. It's now up to 196°F and I added some APL BBQ sauce to the bottom. In 20 mins I will flip, sauce the meat side and let her go until it reaches 203°F. Per the recipe, cooker still at 275°F.

Here is a pic (a little hazy) from when I unwrapped. Nice pull-back:

Name:	20150113_181433.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	52123

Comment

Thats nice lookin stuff DEW

Comment

That's a good lookin meal (so far anyways).

Comment

So, pix a bit later. The pros: They were tender. They were meaty and filling (one per person was plenty). Good bark. Decent rub. The sauce was very complimentary. DEW The Cons: They were dry-ish. They must have been a tad over-cooked. I think I know why (thermometer probe mishap) and I will correct it the next time.

Comment

OK, here are the pix:

Name:	20150113_212209.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	52207

Name:	20150113_212317.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	52208

Name:	20150113_212551.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	52210
                    Attached Files

Comment

FWIW I treat beef ribs like brisket, wrap at or shortly into the stall, take to 200ish, hold in a faux cambro an hour or three, eat. They don't dry out this way. Yours look great and I bet they tasted great. In case you're lookign for a different way next time I thought I'd share... I need to venture down to VA and have some ribs with you and fish.... then the next day head to Pit Boss' place and taste one of his legendary ribeyes. Yep, this is what I need to do.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah. I was following the Adam Perry Lang recipe and I wanted to sauce them, which I did. After I took them out of the wrap and put the temp probe back in, I wasn't careful and ended up with the tip touching one of the bones. I am pretty sure that screwed with my Mav IT readings and led to them being a little overdone. They weren't terrible at all, they just weren't "great", which I was hoping for. Neither the GF nor I had any trouble finishing ours.

Those look pretty good! I think you just overcooked them a bit. If the temps went over 205*F, then you for sure did.

Huskee door's always open! Come on in.

Comment

Well, the presentation was great. The only way I know they were a bit dry was because you said so. As Dave said that 203*F is a magical number.

Between you and Eugene I gotta go get some beef ribs. I didn't hurt that the last ones I fixed the wife really raved about.

Comment

Those look mighty tasty to me.

Someone recently gave me some grass fed short ribs, but they are all individual bones (already cut). Do you guys think they would still smoke well? or should I just be safe and braise them?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here