Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs - The bad and the good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs - The bad and the good.

A while back there was a thread wherein folks were grousing about the lack of meat on beef back ribs. I wanted to differ at the time, then forgot about it and lost the thread. It is true that, if you buy the back ribs at the big box stores that are cryo wrapped 2-3 racks to the package, there will be almost no meat. It looks like they use a scalpel to carve the meat from between the bones. See the picture below courtesy of Wally . . . Don't buy! Instead, go to a reputable butcher or grocer and get the back ribs that remain when they make boneless roasts. Picked up a couple of racks yesterday, see second picture. They're not as meaty as shorties, but I far prefer the flavor. We just remove the skin, dry brine, rub and smoke at ~250º for 5 hours. Serve with sauce on the side. Absolutely my favorite smoked beef meal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Walmart3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	517623

Click image for larger version  Name:	publix2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	223.3 KB ID:	517624
    Last edited by johnec00; June 19, 2018, 08:13 AM. Reason: OK, I've been corrected, we actually smoke these for 5-6 hours.

Nice portions!

Comment

I picked these Beef plate ribs up last night, from Costco. Man are they good. I have them rolling the PBC right now. They are about 2 1/2"- 3" thick.

Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had good and bad at my Costco. They had them cryovaced in these translucent packs and you couldn't see what you were getting. One time I got one that was about 85% fat, one of the bone sections was 100% fat !!!. I took that one back. Noticed they have been de-bagging them lately, that helps.

Yea, Spinaker , I like those too and have them occasionally. There's just something about chewing on the bone and the flavor/texture of the back ribs that I prefer. Sort of similar to baby back ribs vs. pork chops, both good, but different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9239.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	517650

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking ribs. I love beef backs, plates and chucks. My favorites by far, better than pork to me (and I love pork ribs).

Nice looking ribs. Made me hungry!

Comment

You have a very nice butcher!!! Your top picture is what you usually get, which are quite lacking!

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not really an explicit butcher, just a supermarket called Publix that's very common here in the Southeast. They almost always have them, though not usually at $2.99/pound.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          johnec00 I was stuck in a hotel in Atlanta (Sandy Springs I think) for 4 weeks. Thankfully a Publix was across the street....whew!

• gabulldog
          gabulldog commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard, I grew up in Sandy Springs, that Publix was probably my go to!

I do the same with my local Brookshires.

Comment

I never see beef back ribs like that around here. Nice score.

Comment

I recognized that Publix label, will have to ask around next time I'm there, those look great.

Comment

Smoked the beef back ribs from the first post in this topic today. Dry brined overnight, lightly dusted with Black Ops rub, smoked at ~250º for 5½ hours with cherry chunks for the first hour or so. Good grub!

Name:	Rubbed.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	519621

Name:	cooked.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	519622

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	519623

Name:	plated.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	519624

Comment

• Fire Art
                Fire Art commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks delicious and nutritious

• OSB
                OSB commented
                Editing a comment
                Free the beef back racks. Those look great man.

• PappyBBQ
                PappyBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd sure chow down on that!!

Awesome!!! Never seen back ribs with that much meat!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here