Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Marbled Grass-Fed Ribeye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Marbled Grass-Fed Ribeye?

Has anybody else had any experience with this brand? I picked them up from my local Harris Teeter for 10 bucks apiece, 10 oz each. They're labeled as grass-fed/finished but have craaazzyyy marbling for that price point, which is contrary to most things I've read about or tasted in the past. The brand is Strauss, and they were delicious.
    They got hot a little faster than I anticipated, so they finished around 140 instead of the 133 I normally aim for. As a result, they didn't have the thermal real estate I needed to develop an excellent crust, but they were absolutely melt-in-your-mouth tender. Dry brined for 12 hours, smoked at 130 with hickory then seared with beef love.
    Sorry for the poor photography!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3286.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	514682Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3285.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	514683Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3288.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	514684

That's a nice looking steak.

Comment

I would say those are worthy of $16/lb for sure. Nice score.

Comment

Sounds and looks great!

Comment

Now there is a "grass fed" steak I would buy! Beautimous!!!

Comment

Nice looking cut of meat at a decent price point....very impressive find !!!

Comment

Think that cow didn’t really like grass, but the steak looks fantastic.

Comment

• Flavorsavor
                Flavorsavor commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I'm thinking. Either one was real lazy or they found the back door to the grain silo.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                You may be on to something, Flavorsavor . Those steaks look like prime corn-fed. Nice find!

Yikes!!

Comment

grass finished is way different than grass fed. no way that is 100% grass. either way look phenominal. Try freezing them for a bit before you cook to get a better sear on them.

Comment

They forgot to print the word "grain." It should read:

grass-fed/grain-finished

No reason to mention it being "finished" if it was only grass fed, unless it was raised in Finland

Comment

• Flavorsavor
                    Flavorsavor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It actually says grass fed grass finished on the back of the package. I just don’t see how it can be though.

What ever they were fed those steaks sure are Purdy! I bet they tasted as good as they look.

Comment

• Flavorsavor
                    Flavorsavor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You’re right, they were delicious
                    Last edited by Flavorsavor; June 11, 2018, 04:18 PM.

White fat usually means grain fed. Yellow fat - grass fed. And I don't know how much grass a cow has to be fed to meet the "grass fed" label. Sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

Whatever... those are two beautiful steaks. Of the two steaks, I'd take the one on the left. I like a ribeye from the large end with a bit of Chuck in it.

Comment

• Flavorsavor
                    Flavorsavor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think there is some definite loose marketing happening, you’re right.

Those steaks look great.

Comment

Nice

Comment

They look great. Guess you'll know how grass-fed they were when you eat them. The flavor is unmistakable. Let us all know!

Comment

• Flavorsavor
                        Flavorsavor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They tasted like buttery heaven. Very little "gamey" flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here