Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Beef Safety Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Beef Safety Question

I have read most or all of what MH wrote on the public site about this but I have a question that I didn't see answered: If I take a chuck steak, brisket flat or some short ribs and put them in a sous vide bath at 130°F for 2 hours, and then put back in the fridge and, when cold, grind my own ground beef and then safely cook burgers made from that home-ground beef to only 125°F or 130°F? My thinking is that if I pasteurize the steak surface, the ground beef should be 7D safe. Is this correct? I positively HATE burgers cooked to 140 or 145 and would rather either not eat them or take the risk illness so I am hoping this provides a safe third option.

DEW

I would just use the boiling water method, but I would use the largest pieces of meat practical. Even if the surface is a little "cooked," there is more "red" meat in the mix, than if you used smaller pieces. With this idea, it won't matter if you sous vide or not in the prep phase. I would just buy the primals, boil in the bag, chill, and grind. If there is more than a single piece of meat in the package, you'll have to separate, wrap, then heat treat the pieces individually.

Comment

Strat, thanks for the response, but what is "the boiling water method"?

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        Immerse the meat in boiling water for 10 seconds, cool as needed, and grind. I got this from Meathead's article.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, again. I missed that.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here