Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - second stall & another butcher paper test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - second stall & another butcher paper test

I cooked a 6lb brisket flat overnight last night on the kettle/SnS. Wrapped in butcher paper at 187 and it hung there and actually dropped to 183, for 3 hrs (!!!) and counting! This is with the Maverick XR50, and confirmed with the Thermapen. Never had a second stall this long, so I figured I'd do a search and see some past experiences. Interesting to see Jerod Broussard's comment on common second stall temps in this older thread. Spot on!

I know from past experience butcher paper will not be nearly as quick as foil, it's actually closer to going nekkid, but this is an interesting experiment & experience for sure.

Normally I don't do overnight cooks but I'm back to work tonight and will sleep later today so the timing was essentially like a day cook for me. This one was smoked with plum and chardonnay grapevine wood.

Brisket for lunches at work!

Does it really matter how long it takes if you have enough beer to last the cook?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said, you get me!!

So here's the end result. Wife & I both decided we don't prefer the butcher paper. The bark is a little drier, perhaps a little crunchier. We like the softer (but still black & plentiful) bark of a 180-190-then-wrap-in-foil method. And in this case it took 2 hrs longer than my typical 12 hrs total. This took 14, which is 12 on heat + 2 "cambro hold". Cool how the one pic shows the smoke ring doesn't penetrate the fat cap but halfway across when the fat cap ends (butcher trimming, not mine) the ring starts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1119.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	513975

Name:	IMAG1121.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	513976

Name:	IMAG1124.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	513972

Name:	IMAG1120.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	513970
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks dang tasty from here, nice pics, as well!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry vandy I missed your question. I like to put the fat cap in the direction of the heat. On my stickburner it's down, kettle w/SnS, up.

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskee, the reason I asked is because the only full packer brisket I have done was fat cap up on my Big Joe. I was planning on doing the next one fat cap down to see which way I prefer.

Looks great! What cooking temp?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      This was an average of 275.

That looks very good.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! My sense of taste is off since I had a bad sinus infection a few weeks ago, (I'm over that of course but my sense of smell & taste hasn't come back fully which is alarming) but the fact that my wife an dboys were eating it, and seconds, at 10am tells me it was pretty good!

Did you put the flat in the freezer before cooking?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I sometimes do that too. This was right out of a 36 deg fridge and a quick doused in rub and on the kettle.

Nice work! I started using the butcher paper awhile back, and I really prefer it to the foil. I like how it lets the bark stay intact while also preserving the moisture in the meat.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I love how so many of us have had the chance to figure out what we love and how to achieve it, and how we have little options along the way, like foil, paper, or nothing, to get that little something that we prefer!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here