Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angus 43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angus 43

What does angus 43 mean in comparison to Select, Choice, Prime? Looks on par with choice to me. Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	513660

Never seen it. Marketing niche?

Gotta wonder if it's a tad better than the 42, or if like shotgun gauges and acidity, a tad better than the 44.

Comment

Took a while to find it.

It is beef raised in the California valley that Highway 43 runs through.

Comment

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mosca. I would say its on par with choice. I grab them once and while @ my local Save Mart.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        But it doesn't mention the actual grade anywhere that I saw.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope.

Can someone explain how this beef is graded outside the typical standards?

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        This beef is not graded. It is mandatory for beef to be inspected by the USDA if sold to the public, but grading is voluntary. Meat packers have to pay a fee to have their beef graded (there are 8 grades of beef).

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        So that being said, "Angus 43" is ungraded beef and labeled that way to make it seem more special. I've seen such names as "Cowboy Pride" and "Rancher's Reserve" at some of the stores in my area. Bottom line: if the beef you want to purchase looks well marbeled, then buy it.

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx for the explanatiion TripleB.

Looks like a fine Tri tip to me.

Comment

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        Have had them many times. Oakgrovebacon. Hoping for the 3.99 trimmed for Fathers Day special. 2.99 untrimmed on sale @ times as well. With a 24 hr dry brine they are fantastic.
        Last edited by OSB; June 9, 2018, 06:32 PM.

I just grilled some Angus 43 ribeyes on a salt block this evening. Turned out pretty good. I'd guess they're about choice grade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_210416993.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	518830
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_212120225.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	518831 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• PaynTrain
        PaynTrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Wedunne how do you like the salt block? I am semi-interested, but nothing has pushed me over the edge.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        They look pretty darn good to me!

I like it pretty well for thinner steaks and seafood. It gives the food a bit of nice salty flavor, but not too salty. I didn't salt the meat before grilling. You just have to be patient enough to heat up the block until its really hot before you cook - might be an issue if you don't have a lot of time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here