Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket blues

Struggling with dry brisket. Pit Barrel Cooker, pulling at 165 to wrap in foil. Pull again at 195 into A towel for a 3hr rest moist around the fat cap of course, but the rest is dry. Any thoughts?

Welcome BIGJON to The Pit!

What are you buying and cooking exactly? Select, Choice, Prime......packers or just flats?

Comment

6lb flat from BJ’s Club.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Its choice

Might try injecting... what temp you cooking at? Brisket flats can be tough (no pun intended!).

Comment

Was it a bit tough, just right, or overly tender?

The flat is very lean piece of meat that we take waaaaaaaaay past well-done. They don't have to be very dry, however comparing them to the point (that is LOADED WITH FAT) puts them in a pretty dry category.

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
          Might try injecting... what temp you cooking at? Brisket flats can be tough (no pun intended!).
          PBC runs @275-300 degrees

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
            Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!
            Ya got yerself th right Brisket Advisour, Jerod Broussard , first time outta th gate...
            I'm certain ya'll get even more advice, from many accomplished Brisketeers, here afore too long!

Comment

Inject from the side, then butterball the flat from the top. Follow your same recipe. Change one thing at a time.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

In his book, Weber's Smoke, Jamie Purviance discusses a brisket recipe on page 70 of the book. There he points out in his prelude to the recipe that the selection of the quality of the meat is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of the recipe. His description recommends something like "Certified Angus Beef" brand--or better. My understanding is that "certified angus" is a carefully chosen, high-end "choice" grade of beef. The recipe also shows a pic of injecting, parallel to the grain of the meat.

If a pro like Jamie is injecting a brisket that is (apparently) certified angus (or perhaps better)--what are we to make of this?

To make matters even worse--Meathead points out elsewhere here on the website (and rightly so) that brisket has a pretty good tendency to dry out after it's been sliced.

Thus--to answer your question: you can promise yourself that from now on...only buy a brisket that is "Certified Angus" brand grade--or better (i.e., Prime, or Wagyu).

You can also spritz the meat (with water...or beef broth, for example) periodically after a few hours into the cook.

To get around this same problem--for my part, I buy only "prime" grade briskets (whole "packers", from Costco) or Wagyu.

Note: All the above info really refers to brisket whole "packers"...and not just a lone "flat".

Given all the above--it follows that if you buy a brisket "flat" with little or no marbling in it you are basically setting yourself up for a disappointing experience.

Hope some of this helps...

Comment

• customtrim
                    customtrim commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Certified Angus means the hide has to have I believe it's 90 percent black, I have seen some holsteins that would pass this requirement

bigjohnt great to see you are cooking and are swinging for the fence, smoking a brisket!

My recommendation is that you...keep cooking them! Nothing like some repetition to get your feel and understand what you like and how to cook it on your pit.

The window between Tough (Undercooked) and Dry (overcooked) is a narrow one. The lower the grade, the smaller the window. When most folks say they pulled at 195, my going in guess is that it's a little undercooked.

Injecting helps. Dry brining 2 days ahead is also a help, and it's easier and cheaper than injecting. I don't inject unless it's a competition - it's a hassle.

As mentioned above, leaving slices exposed for very long before serving add's to the dry factor.

What thermometer are you using? A thermapen? I find it takes going past that to get dry.

Comment

I usually inject the flat and let it marinate overnight (I used Stubb's Beef last time). I'll wrap when I like the color and the bark is set. Cook it until probe tender and make sure you let it rest for at least an hour. For the rest, I wrap in Saran Wrap first and then foil over that. Slice and serve immediately!

Comment

Al of this makes me think I'll stick to other cuts such as tri-tip, rib-eye or (suggestions please); I really can't slice and serve immediately a whole big brisket because it usually is just my wife and I and the leftovers get vacuum packed and frozen - pork shoulder, ribs, chicken, etc... work great for this; suggestions for beef?

Comment

• treesmacker
                        treesmacker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Got it, but what other beef cuts can be "smoked" besides brisket?

• bigjohnt
                        bigjohnt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I smoked a beef chuck roast and it was outstanding.

• treesmacker
                        treesmacker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, chuck roast I'll try.

I just smoked a flat which I got from BJ's. It was USDA Choice, 6.3 lbs.
                      Rubbed with garlic salt 12 hours before the cook then rubbed with Montreal seasoning. It took 9 hrs on a BGE @ 225 - 250.
                      Let is set for 1.5 hrs then served.
                      It was plenty moist and tender. Had rave reviews and hardly any leftovers (7 people).
                      I can't imagine how much better a higher grade would taste.

Comment

Also consider lowering the temp down. I noticed you was cooking at 275-300 range. Pork can take it but beef is pickier.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here