Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separate the flat from the point??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separate the flat from the point??

Hiya folks!
    I am really debating whether I should separate the point from the flat on my brisket (Doing my first one in a few days). The only reason I am considering it, is the stories I am hearing of a dried out flat. It is a thinner piece of meat, so it kind of makes sense. So, if they are going to cook at different speeds, wouldn't it be better to separate them?
    I really wanna hear your thoughts on this one... Cause I can't seem to make a decision. Keep bouncing back and forth on what to do.

Howdy. Been studying from the Texas greats, Franklin, Snow's etc. and also eaten their "best of the best" brisket. These folks are very open about how they do it and, using their techniques, I've been able to make consistently great (not dried out!) briskets without separating the point and flat. I truly believe the keys to brisket success are quality meat, moderate fat trimming and most importantly, constant attention to pit temperature. Good luck!

Comment

I've done it on all but my last. If you separate, do them one above the other on separate grates, with the point on top. The advantages are that the whole thing gets done a lot faster, and the muscles cook at different speeds, so you can take off the quicker one and cambro it while the other finishes.

Comment

Mosca practice has been mine, too, and the advantages he mentions are well taken. Both of us cook on BGEs, and I would add that separated briskets fit better on a large BGE. I did the last brisket whole and wrapped which came out pretty good, but I think I will return to the practice of separating them in the future.

Comment

I have never separated but am considering for my next cook. Question to those who do separate do you typically do burnt ends with the point?

Comment

I usually separate, for the reasons mentioned above, and slice it all.

Comment

I have cooked a few flats by them selves and they all turned out dry. The only full packer that I have cooked I did not seperate it together and the point turned out great plus I let it go with out wrapping it, the flat was just as juicy as the point and was probe tender in around 10 hours at 250 degree cooking temp on my Kamado Joe. I did use a water pan under the brisket.

Comment

Only time I separate point from flat is when corning it to make pastrami. If I'm doing smoked brisket, I can't wait for a slice right outta the middle of the point/flat end. It's the slice Franklin calls the "Money Shot" in his brisket slicing videos! Can't get that without leaving them attached...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here