Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small packer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small packer

I'm on my 4th brisket (all Costco prime) and the major difference on this one is size. My previous cooks have all been between 12 and 14 pounds before trim. This one started at 10 lbs. and I had 3 lbs. of trim. I have had previous briskets in the smoker for about 16 hours @ 225 following Meathead's recipe with few modifications (mostly on crutch temperature) and they have all been very good. My question on this one is timing for a 7 lb. packer that is only 1/2" thick at the flat end and 2" on the thickest part of the point. Cook done on Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 and I will not pump the meat. Can I anticipate 12 hours or less for a brisket this small? Your thoughts are appreciated.

I’m glad you asked. I got half a cow and it was a small one, 542 lbs hanging weight. I requested a full packer and it is about 4 lbs. I had to confirm with the butcher that is was truly whole. It’s going to cook a bit different than the Costco 14 lbs monsters.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      @4lbs, You might try cooking it like a tri tip. Just a thought.

• snowswamp
      snowswamp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! That’s a good idea. It’s like a toy brisket it’s so small. 😀

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      we get small ones from our cattle. We slaughter young. snowswamp good news is, if they are like ours (we hem them up and feed them out on corn and breeder cubes the last few months, all black angus) it is nicely marbled and very tender. We don't even mess with briskets from our own cattle now.

Bought a used Cambro from a guy yesterday, who has a team that BBQs every year in the San Antonio Rodeo...he said they'd pull their briskets at 185 F and let them finish cooking in the Cambro. I'll have to try that. Another trick...if you can sear the outside with the brisket almost frozen, you can get a nice finish to start...I'm thinking a small seared brisket could be wrapped immediately and brought up to say 185 F...then finished un-wrapped. Something else? Inject some rendered beef fat into the end of the flat while smoking.

Comment

I’ve done several that size and they took 11-12 hours without a crutch. Though they weren’t that thin on the flat like yours. I just bought a 13# packer and I’ve never done a whole one yet. Staying up until midnight ain’t easy for me

Comment

Meathead says that thickness determines cook time. I would not think that a brisket that thin would take 10-12 hours. If the briskst is a point and a flat you might consider injecting the flat so it won’t dry out or separating the point and flat and cooking them separately.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and good advice. I pumped the flat with low sodium beef stock and put the brisket on at 7:30 this morning at 225. Three hours later it is already at 150. I plan on crutching at 170 and will take it to about 200 before it goes into the cambro. Will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Good Luck, amigo! Lookin forward to hearin how it goes!

The brisket came out alright. It came up to 170 by 2:00, crutched in foil, and out at 4:00 at 199 degrees. Put the brisket in the cooler for 2 1/2 hours. The final result was about 3/4 cup au jus in the foil and a brisket that had a very dry but tasty flat and an excellent, flavorful and juicy point. All things considered, I will go with the larger packers, 12-14 lbs., and deal with the 2:00 am start.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here