Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef bliss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef bliss

It's blowing snow and freezing tonight, so I indoor reverse seared these free range grass fed highland sirloins from Mackillop Beef near High River, Alberta, about 40 min south of Calgary http://www.mackillopbeef.com. They have an extra beefy flavour that is not too gamy and they are much leaner than feed lot cows, so I cooked them to 115 internal and let them carry over to about 125, sublime heaven and beauty that I know the Pit members will appreciate.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bbqoaf; January 10, 2015, 10:12 PM.

Wow man, you nailed them suckers. Nice pic.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Overnight dry brined and finished with a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.

Beautiful work! Nice color and sear.

Comment

I for one appreciate you sharing those pics. Nicely done, yum yum!

Comment

Looks great - I did a reverse sear over the vortex last night with garlic infused ghee.

Mine was just top sirloin though...

Comment

I have to say that is a perfect steak!!!

Comment

You are speaking directly to me with the hardy grazed beef! These are the two bred cows that I picked to start my herd of good quality beef. They will be delivered sometime this spring, depending on weather to have their calves on fresh green grass. As they were meant to be raised... This is where steaks come from folks!!!

Comment

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              That will be fantastic, where are you located? My grass fed stuff comes from the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rockies, high elevation, feeds on dry prairie grass and shrubs, produces an amazing flavour. Also, what breed are those? I have Highland, a lean breed originated in Scotland that the British royal family keeps a herd of to this day.

Nice sear BO!

EB that's a lot of beef. I expect lots of pics Let's see there's brisket, reverse seared steak, beef ribs, hamburgers, pulled chuck roast... You must have a lot of mouths to feed.

Comment

You guys are such charmers, thanks!!!

Comment

These are Herefords, a very docile breed that does well in grass and forage. They originated in Herefordshire England. I am located in north central Wisconsin. And yes, good food comes from good quality fresh ingredients. I am very fortunate to be able to grow my own.
                A lady at my work raises the Highlands, she says in the summertime all you see in her pond is heads and horns!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	a9cc87954d355ba6b5f9dc3d0e2274ff.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	52530 Highlands lookin' sharp, next year I am going to see if I can get a skin cleaned and tanned, would make a great rug!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here