Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Tenderloin in my offset smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Tenderloin in my offset smoker

I decided to smoke a full beef tenderloin. This one weighed in at 3 kilos (6.6 lbs). I trimmed it, dry brined and applied my own beef rub.

I use oak wood for fuel, and it took 10 minutes to heat my smoker to 240° F (115° C). I put water in the water pan and placed the beef in my smoker. Ran it for 1 hour, until inner temp was 133° F (56° C). I wrapped the beef in a faux cambro (dual layers of aluminum foil and a thick towel) and let it rest for 30 minutes.

It turned out real good, I haven't had beef tenderloin in a while, but this was decadent.

Fire action shot

Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	512336

My smoker, "Rude Boy"

Name:	smoker.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	512337

Tenderloin in the smoker, almost done

Name:	tenderloin_smoked.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	512339

And the final product. Juicy 'n tasty!

Name:	tenderloin_sliced.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	512338

I need to smoke beef tenderloin more often

Looks awesome.
    No reverse sear?

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinkin the same thing, can't beat the char

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, just smoke. But my rub barks up pretty good without searing. I'm normally a big fan of the reverse sear, but this one looked so good I decided to leave it as is.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik when do I get some of your beef rub?😁

Wow that looks delish! I like your smoker too, the rusted "patina" look is really cool.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, me too! It has taken a year for it to rust properly, I have left it outside in the rain and the snow. Now it has that old school look. I have polished the smoke stack though (it's stainless).

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work! I've got the same rusted look on my gas fire pit in my backyard!

That looks great Henrick.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB!

That smoker is so pretty, Henrik . I hope you can realize your dream to make them as a business. You do fine work.

And speaking of fine work, that tenderloin looks delicious. I've got a chateaubriand in the freezer wanting to take a trip down Smoker Lane too. Hope mine turns out as well as your whole tenderloin did.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Kathryn! "a trip down Smoker lane", love that expression! Look forward to seeing photos of that Chateaubriand in the near future.

Wow, wow, wow! The photo of the fire is beautiful!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that was a lucky shot, but I'm real happy with how I caught the curling smoke to the right in the picture. Looks even better in high-res.

That sliced pic looks so goooood!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, it sure was juicy! I definitely need to make beef tenderloin more often. I almost forgot how good it is.

Beautiful pictures. The tenderloin looks perfectly cooked. Curious about the cambro, I've never cambroed prime cuts of beef after cooking. Do you think there was an advantage to that in the cooking process ??

Also, do you want me to lend you a few cans of spray paint for Rude Boy or is the patina the way to go ??

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I cambro larger hunks of meat. This one is what I consider "larger". I wanted the temp to go up 2 degrees, and also let the juices settle. Which they do, I've done several experiments.
      The patina is just the way I like it, so no paint. I do have a polished stainless steel smoke stack that adds a lot of 'shine', it goes great with the patina.

Rude Boy rules!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here