Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisketta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisketta

Hi all,

I'm currently at a bbq event in Sundsvall, Sweden. It is a community event, where meats/etc. are sponsored. We're doing brisket, pork belly and chuck roll in my offset smoker.

Even though the arrangers went to the butcher's with videos and everything, they didn't manage to cut out briskets properly. It looks like we have the brisket flat, plus whatever continues up outside the rib cage. The "briskets" are 1.5 by 1.5 feet, more like large blanket. So after mocking the butchers for a while, having a laugh, we thought: what can we do with a large thin flat like that? Then someone came up with the brilliant (thanks, beer) idea: Let's make a porchetta out of brisket!

Enter: brisketta

So, we trimmed it a little, then rubbed it down, applied whatever we could find in the teams' tents, then tied it up. We added some fresh parsely too. Smoked it with oak wood until inner temp hit 203° F. Now it's wrapped in a faux cambro, we're trying it for breakfast (it is now 6 AM). I have no clue how this will turn out, but it sure was fun making.

Massive (but thin) slab o' meat

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisketta-1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	509623

Salt + rub

Name:	Brisketta-2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	509621

Some herbal mix

Name:	Brisketta-3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	509622

Fresh parsley

Name:	Brisketta-5.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	509626

Trussed, ready for the smoker

Name:	Brisketta-6.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	509620

Brisketta (top left) Almost done, nice bark

Name:	Brisketta-7.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	509624

I'll let you know how the experiment turned out in a few hours.
    Attached Files

Neatolla!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

Name:	A9D181AD-EDC6-4D91-B128-39B38354F76C.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	509651 Turns out it wasn’t bad at all. Real juicy, with good flavors. I can’t replicate the spices/rubs etc, ‘cause there were at least 4 ‘chefs’, but the key takeaway is that rolling a very flat flat works just fine

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty neat cook right there!

Cool!

Comment

Thus proving the talent of you and your crew, overcoming a hurdle thrown at you! Nicely done!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Always fun to with those last minute judgments, especially since this was an 'extra' brisket, so no risking dinner.

Brisket may stop a butcher, but nothing stops a good cook.

Comment

That's the way to improvise Henrik!

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Very Cool, indeed, Brother!
            Yall did a nice save on this, an created summat new, in th process...
            I doff my beloved cowboy hat to ya, team!

Comment

Sure looks good in the pictures. I would eat that. Nice creative idea.

Comment

Damn dude! This is awesome. Way to improvise. What temp did you cook that sucka too?

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I cook it to 203. I checked it with the Thermapen, and when I poked it I had to duck a jet stream of meat juice. That sucker sure was juicy.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice work! I bet it was insanely good. Henrik

What a great idea!! Must've been good beer!

Comment

That was pretty unique there Sir Henrik !!! I'll bet rolling it keep a lot more of the rendered fat and connective tissue within the meat, kind of internal self-basting. Never seen it done with brisket, nice experiment !!!

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, it was all good fun (and breakfast). Next time we're gonna have to make sure the butcher knows how to cut out a brisket properly. I want a big fat point!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here