Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket tenderness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket tenderness

I finally did my first brisket. Actually the third, but the first since I've been here. In other words, my first correctly done brisket. It was a prime 13.17lber untrimmed. Followed MH's method (less injecting). I wrapped at 160 IT. Grate temps were at 225 and then went to 245 after wrapping (probably due to the outside temp heating up around the same time). Once it hit 203 after 11.5hrs on the Rec Tec, I did the faux cambro for 3.5hrs.

Turned out crazy good. Even made some burnt ends and they were just as crazy good.

The only problem was the point (mainly) was so tender it was hard to cut it without it wanting to fall apart. It was NOT mushy. Is this normal? Too long in the cambro?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180527_174620.jpg Views:	1 Size:	632.4 KB ID:	507679

Probably got it a little too hot for prime. It was most likely close to "done" in the low 190's. When cooking a prime brisket, I'm checking probe tenderness at a lower temperature than choice. This is also a big reason why I like to separate the point from the flat, so I can just take that point out when it's ready. That, and all-around smoke ring and bark.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Inmy experience, flat is done before point.

Well done! Sounds like you nailed it!

Comment

Nominal slice thickness is "pencil width" which is 6 mm nearly 1/4" Overcooked (too tender) just slice thicker.
      To tough and you slice thinner.

Or so I have heard. Never had that problem myself of course.

Comment

Like Steve R. said.

And if you slice too hot, if you go slightly with the grain it will firm the slices up and give them more integrity.

Comment

Me no sooper-dooper expert, but I'm learning to use and trust the "probe tender" method. My recent pork butt cook was DONE at 195 IT and I've had brisket a bit overdone at 200. And the beat goes on....

Comment

Like CaptainMike says .... it’s all about probe tender. Feels like a knife going into warm butter! Prime brisket: start checking at an IT of 190. If you have the ability, run multiple internal probes while cooking, since the point will cook faster.

That is a really nice looking piece of meat!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here