Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st beef ribs

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_193723.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	507040Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_193934.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	507041

Name:	20180527_152352.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	507042 First time beef back ribs, the flavor and texture was excellent, but there was very little meat on them, mostly fat.... is that normal for back ribs or did I just not pick good one? Anyway I was happy with how they turned out and look forward to them again.

wsm 22 with water , cooked about 275 and ribs were about 200 degrees in like 3.5 hrs, I was surprised how fast they cooked.
    brushed some blueshog comp. bbq sauce on the last 30 min.
    also used the bottom rack for the first time and it worked out quite well, the top racks finished first then I moved the bottom ribs to the top to finish them off

There is usually not much meat on then. I made some this weekend also.

Comment

I've done back ribs several times (more than shorts actually) and while there's less than shorties, I didn't think they were too little meat, you may just have gotten some smaller ones. Did you faux cambro hold them, or just dig in after saucing? Either way, congrats, they look purdy!

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        didn't hold em, just dug right in!

Dude, beef ribs are great, including back ribs. They don't have a ton of meat, but all of it is full of flavor. You can gnaw on them for a long time! I recall it taking a little longer than 3.5 hours at 2.75, but then I like them good and rendered.

I've never sauced beef ribs. Only sauce brisket for comps. How did you like it?

Keep cooking and enjoy!

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        they were really good, I just put a light layer on them, will probably do it that way again

They don't have meat because they are next to the rib eye steak and the butcher wants all the meat to go to the steak! So all the meat is between the bones. A good set should leave you with some meat in the middle, maybe you got a smaller set. I made some recently and I think they were probably among the best things I've ever made, and one of the two racks I made was like you describe, the other bigger with more meat.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the story. It' a matter of what the butcher decides for portions. And the rib roast or steak mostly wins.

As I've posted on several other threads, you have to find a place to buy back ribs that doesn't sell "shiners" - ribs will little meat. I found a place that leaves an inch or better on the back ribs they sell and they are to die for. I've posted this pic before but I'll drop it right here again... I have a rack on my PBC right now!

Name:	IMG_2860[1].JPG
Views:	88
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	507152

Comment

• Omega-Man
        Omega-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look more like short ribs (plate)

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Omega-Man yeah, they do, but they are back ribs. Stupid cheap to boot. This rack might have cost 6 dollars. The ones I cooked today weren't quite this meaty....

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        that sounds great!

I recently made the mistake of making beef back ribs. These bones are cut off the rib roast leaving mostly shiners so, you only have meet between the bones. As you said, there is a lot of fat. I would say more fat than meet.

Comment

I think the only way to get good beef back ribs--short of knowing a good butcher--is to cut your own off of a rib roast. The ribs in my local megamarts fall short of even being labelled shiners--I'd just call 'em a disgrace. I need to make some beef stock soon (back ribs are a good, cheap cut for stock), so I'll soon post a pic of what passes for beef back ribs in these here parts.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, kind of hate to admit it, but when we have a bone-in rib roast, we consider the bones to be stock material and take the meat for the roast or eventual steaks.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here