Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

beef back rub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beef back rub question

hello all, getting ready to smoke some beef back ribs first time ive done beef ribs, I read about the texas short ribs, but should I fill my wsm with water? also do you use the bend test with beef ribs like pork??? thanks ill post pics later, gotta get the smoker goin
    !!!

I don't have a WSM, so can't advise whether using some water is usual practice. For my cookers it's not (kamado, KBQ). For the three "water smoker" I rusted out before the kamado, using water would be right. But I'm sure someone will chime in with good advice for you. No bend tests for beef ribs. Use a probe or an instant read, depending on the thickness. Check tenderness around 190, and pull when probe tender, just like the big cuts.

Enjoy!

Comment

I would say yeah on the water, and the next time you cook them try it without, and see if you notice a difference one way or the other. And I agree with Ed, you can't do a bend test on beef ribs. Treat them just like a little brisket, if you've ever cooked a brisket you know what I mean. Take them up high- once they hit around the 195-200 level, hold them for another hour or two in a faux cambro before eating.

Comment

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        My first time as well. This thread is coming in handy

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here