Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing brisket backwards (for me)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I separate the point at 190. When I bring the burnt ends back to the pit, I turn up the heat to 275. The flat comes off shortly. I leave the burnt ends on for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours until done.

Looks good.

Comment

I unwrapped it about 6:45, point seemed good but flat was still around 180. I bumped the pit to 300; at about 8pm the flat was 205, but didn’t seem tender. The heck with it, it’s wrapped in foil and in the cooler. We'll see.

Comment

Eh. It’s okay. Not bad. A little bit dry, but still pretty tasty. The point is the right texture. If I were served this, I would be pleased with it.

But it isn’t any better than what I’ve been making.

I wouldnt say that any of my choices were wrong. It could be a failure of execution, after all. The best part from here is that learning how to make brisket means eating a lot of brisket.

i broke a piece to show the dryness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	707BCE9F-066F-4F54-822B-977088872619.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	506495

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Mighta jus been a ornery piece o beef, as well...it's always hard to say...
          Th plate pictured above is enough to send any BBQ lover into ecstasy!

If yer briskey still seems dryish, well, I'd make me some chili with it, let it suck up some moisture, while addin its delicious flavour to th mix.

Beautiful job, Brother, an many thanks fer takin us along fer th Ride!

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          It could also be that I cut the piece off the end, where the brisket is thinnest, and it might be better in the middle. I'll find out today, even if day old brisket isn't at its best.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Immortal words: "The best part from here is that learning how to make brisket means eating a lot of brisket".

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
        After having eaten Barry’s brisket at Smoque, I’ve decided to radically change my approach. My briskets have always been good, but now that I’ve tasted greatness I can’t be satisfied with good.

1) I used to trim almost mercilessly. This one, I trimmed the really thick fat, and the top layer of the fat on the point side, and some of the intramuscular fat, and left the rest.

2) I aways injected my briskets. No injecting this one.

3) I have always separated point and flat, and did them on separate layers. This one, they’re staying connected.

4) I’m going to spritz this one with cider vinegar and apple juice, every couple hours. Never spritzed before. (This also means I’m doing a daytime cook instead of an overnight cook. I got a rack of ribs and some chicken, for if 6PM comes around and the briskie is still in stall mode. The ribs go on at noon regardless.)

5) I’m going to wrap it; never wrapped before. (If you’re paying attention: what temp should I wrap at? Before the stall, or after?)

I’m actually very calm about it. I really don’t think anything can go wrong, and it could go incredibly right. It’s a hunk of meat. Put it over the fire and cook it.
        1) I trim mercilessly, I trim all the fat between point & flat, trimming & filleting it down, stopping just short of separating them completely. I like it that way, it eliminates that large band of fat that I feel is unnecessary on my plate. IMO Prime & Choice still have plenty of fat they don't need that band. Just my personal preference.

2) Never injected a brisket and never though I should've. Nothing wrong with it if a person likes it.

3) I keep thinking one of these days I'll cook one separated, but I prefer to leave them whole- better presentation to guests I think. What I don't like about that is the tan line where the two overlap. Since I remove the fat between the two, there's a barkless void there, but it sure makes slicing easier and easier to present to guests without heaps of fat.

4) I spritzed mine yesterday for the first time ever. It made it take about 90 min longer from my classic timing (at least I assume the change was due to my introducing that variable) and I noticed zero difference in flavor. Not sure I ever will spritz again.

5) My personal preference is 180-ish, well after the stall. At a cook temp of 225-250 this is typically 8 hrs give or take a little. Very tight wrap, double layer foil.

It's all good, MANY ways to get to the goal of a delicious brisket on your plate!

Comment

Great plate!

Comment

An update for anyone still following this:

Although eating brisket the next day isn't the best way to tell how good it is, I do believe that the dryness I reported Sunday is because I was cutting the tip of the flat. Even with reheating, "center" slices and point/flat slices had a much softer texture, much closer to what I was shooting for than I had originally thought.

Next brisket, I am going to do some of each: I think I will split point and flat, but I will NOT inject, and I WILL spritz and wrap. I think splitting the muscles will encourage even cooking, and I think spritzing does a better job of creating good texture than injecting does.

For now, I am going to enjoy the extra freezer space that I have with that brisket out of there!

Comment

• MeatMonster
              MeatMonster commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm still here Mosca! Really been interested in this post thanks for all the detail.

Mosca, thanks for the post and it looks really good. I injected one time and never again. It was ok but my critical fans (my family) didn't like it as well and neither did I. I always spritz and it's a 50/50 on whether I wrap or not based on time. If I do, it's usually at the 160 mark. I have never seperated but may try it some day. Wish we had a way to taste it because like I said, it looks really, really, good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here