Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing brisket backwards (for me)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing brisket backwards (for me)....

After having eaten Barry’s brisket at Smoque, I’ve decided to radically change my approach. My briskets have always been good, but now that I’ve tasted greatness I can’t be satisfied with good.

1) I used to trim almost mercilessly. This one, I trimmed the really thick fat, and the top layer of the fat on the point side, and some of the intramuscular fat, and left the rest.

2) I aways injected my briskets. No injecting this one.

3) I have always separated point and flat, and did them on separate layers. This one, they’re staying connected.

4) I’m going to spritz this one with cider vinegar and apple juice, every couple hours. Never spritzed before. (This also means I’m doing a daytime cook instead of an overnight cook. I got a rack of ribs and some chicken, for if 6PM comes around and the briskie is still in stall mode. The ribs go on at noon regardless.)

5) I’m going to wrap it; never wrapped before. (If you’re paying attention: what temp should I wrap at? Before the stall, or after?)

I’m actually very calm about it. I really don’t think anything can go wrong, and it could go incredibly right. It’s a hunk of meat. Put it over the fire and cook it.

Really interested to here back from you on this one Mosca Funny thing is I cook my Briskets somewhere between your approach and Smoque's (for instance I always wrap, but don't spritz) so really curious if going full on your approach is going to move the needle again on the final result! Keep me posted brother.

Comment

Fire started at 5:30, brisket on at 6:20, pit stabilized at 240* at 7:00. I’m back in bed for a couple hours.

Comment

Mosca I find that wrapping cuts the stall time in half and the from finish to stall time in half. Typically wrapping begins at 160. One author I read contends that the meat quits taking on smoke at 140. If that is true then you could wrap that early. You could unwrap at 180 to dry out the bark. I, too, cook them overnight at 225, but will be cooking one throughout the day to serve for 6pm. Right now my plan is to heat the egg at 5am, put the injected brisket on by 6am, and when I wrap will be deterimed by the progress of the meat. I’ll be using a controller since the winds are to gusty in Dallas.

Comment

Just a couple of thoughts. I spritz as well during the initial stages of the bark formation because I believe it aids in that formation (as does a water pan and humid cooker). After that formation, stop doing it, it only softens it imo. You don't want to wrap at anything below 160*, the reason you take the meat unwrapped to the highest temp possible is to further and deepen the bark. I want a thick crust personally, because I put mine in a foil pan to crutch and don't want to loose that bark because it will soften. Those are my brisket musing from Texas for this day !!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4E00DA9D-5A9B-4B88-98A6-A0F382252E21.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	506008

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              It's looking happy!

I am very interested in your results Mosca. I have never spritzed, injected, or wrapped.

Comment

Four hours in, and it’s at 160 already. I’m going to let it go for a few hours, then wrap it in the pink butcher paper I bought a few years ago and never used.

Comment

And I invented a new brisket rule.

Always have a rack of ribs ready to go, for if the brisket isn’t ready by dinner time. Prepare for everything.

Name:	6AD459DC-756B-49B4-884A-1DAC10F86285.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	506080

Comment

I always wrap near the end of the stall so I allow for good bark formation.

Ive wrapped pre-stall once and got a good pot roast but it was pot roast, not what I was after.

Comment

Name:	BF36AAEF-5333-4A17-9229-398D7DB66545.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	506248Click image for larger version

Name:	500A6338-0BC9-4AD8-AA4B-451CA1227382.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	506247

Comment

Looking good! I like your new approach. Close to what I do. I'm with Polarbear777 on the wrapping. Allow for great bark first. That means wrapping somewhere between 160-170° F.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                        Looking good! I like your new approach. Close to what I do. I'm with Polarbear777 on the wrapping. Allow for great bark first. That means wrapping somewhere between 160-170° F.
                        It’s been between 160 and 170 for about 6 hours. When it gets to 175 or so, with a steady rise, I’ll wrap.

As a side note, I’m using up all my Charbroil Center Cut Charcoal. It burns too fast for these long cooks, I’m going to have to add coal. That’s two in a row, so it isn’t a fluke. On the good side, it leaves almost no ash, and it adds no flavor of its own. So, it does have its place. Just not on long cooks.

Comment

• Henrik
                          Henrik commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You got this, Mosca, just keep us posted on the progress. Great fun following this thread!

Name:	9460791A-89CC-4089-972F-3ACD50A33EBE.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	506281

Comment

Well, the ribs are done. Brisket is at 193. Ribs are dinner today!

Name:	20A6449F-45F5-4BE8-ABB0-51EADC09F9C2.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	506367

Comment

• HouseHomey
                            HouseHomey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dang brother. I call that a win win and chalk it up to wrapping sooner perhaps.

• kmwweiskircher
                            kmwweiskircher commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yum! Looks amazing. I want to know about your pasta salad!

• Mosca
                            Mosca commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Make some bruschetta, mix it with cappellini, Asiago cheese, and some extra olive oil. Pretty simple!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here