Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket

Never smoked one in, bought a Flat Choice about 5.78 lbs. The question....... how long to smoke @225 ? Should I use a water pan under it ? Salt Pepper will be the rub.
    Thanks Guys

Champ891 what are you cooking it on?

Comment

What are you cooking it on? 225 is just a guide line. Don't get all twisted trying to hold that temp. And as always, it is never about time. Its all about when your piece of meat is ready. Ready is probe tender. Then hold for hour or so. Start checking for probe tender around 190*. Choice could go as high as 205*.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, you cook it til it's done...(probe tender done), then you let it cook itself in the faux cambo for a couple more hours (at least). Curious why one would start with a piece of flat, unless you were maybe making pastrami???

Cooking in a ceramic vision. Just curious about time.... the vision will hold temperature for 24 hrs. Like mentioned before... never smoked one

Comment

Anywhere from 225 to 250 will be fine. Just get it to stabilize, and leave it alone. You won’t need a water pan in a kamado, but it wouldn’t hurt, either. I’ve never used one myself (BGE).

It it depends on the cut, it might take 6 hours, it might take 10, it might take 12. It’s done when you stick a probe into it and feel no resistance. Start checking around 190*.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a 5# brisket guys, it should be done way sooner than 10-12 hours depending upon the thickness. I buy those sometimes to do pastrami and get them up to 150* in a couple of hours then SV. Taking it all the way in smoke, maybe 3-4 more.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I would normally agree with you, but once I had one of those little guys go forever. That’s why I ranged it.

225 - 250f until internal 190f then probe occasionally for that soft as butta feel! Sometimes simplz is best!

Comment

Mosca is right on. I usually inject flats because they can dry out. Of course, that can lengthen the cook time. I often wrap which can cut the stall time in half. Then it is your call whether to leave itbwrapped to it is finished or to put it on unrapped to dry out the bark.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_094149.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	506299 I started @ 6am wrapped at 170 5 minutes ago. Looks like tire
            Took this picture at 11am. If it goes South........ I'll just drink more beer.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              The right 'tude!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here