Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"trail-of-tears"-for-my-tomahawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Trail of Tears" for My Tomahawk?

I can’t seem to walk past these Cowboy Ribeyes in Sams Club without at least picking one up, sometimes they make into the cart other times not. Dry brined it last night. I’m bringing it slowly up to temp, planning on searing over the SNS grill grates when it hits 125 and... the heavens have opened up. I threw some foil over my iGrill2 but it got wet for a bit. My ambient temp dropped 45 degrees and the steak is at 110 - almost sear time. I opened up the bottom vents fully and it’s climbing again, but I dunno yet how I’ll sear in this FL - like downpour. Open up vents all the way and leave the lid on I guess!
    Attached Files

I’m pulling for brother. I got one going tomorrow and they are calling for rain as well here.

Comment

It'll just be that much more tender.

Comment

I suggest you get a free standing umbrella with a base for future use.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Second this, done it many times.

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          We had one for years on our porch in San Diego (no weather). Made the move to N.C. and it snapped in 2 during a storm. Think I still have the heavy metal base tho... anyway, my wife held an umbrella! 👍🏻

Umbrella- done that!

Comment

Get a CI skillet screaming hot on the stove and sear inside.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I probably should have boftx ... was being stubborn since my grill grates are pretty new and I hadn’t tried searing on the flat side as Troutman suggested.

Took it off at 120 and hit it with canola oil and freshly ground black pepper (while dry on the covered screened in porch). Then back on to sear. I got a little ring of grey I think because I couldn’t take the top off and get it rip roaring hot first. Even after letting the grill grate preheat with the lid closed for 7-8 min it took longer to get the sear I wanted than it would have otherwise I think. Still was insanely tasty, the only tears are because it’s GONE!

Oh, and covering an iGrill2 with a piece of foil will reduce your Bluetooth range! 😂
          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Weird. I clicked on the images and both disappeared. But I did see them prior.

And hell yeah yeah I’d eat that.
            Considering the elements and such. Beautiful cook. 👍

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Steve B and good luck with yours - and the weather - tomorrow!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here