Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two rubs on one brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two rubs on one brisket?

I am going to smoke a prime packer brisket but I want to try two different rubs. I want to try just salt and pepper for the first rub and the second rub is oakridge black ops rub. Can I use two different rubs on the same brisket? If I put one rub on half of the brisket and the other rub on the other half will there be a problem or contamination of the two rubs?

I say "go for it"! A good way to test the difference on the exact same brisket.

Comment

I did it. We will see how it turns out. Putting it on the smoker right now.

Comment

I've done that before. What I do is lay a piece of paper or foil or something along a perpendicular line across the grain and add rub 1, then move it and add rub 2. Then place a toothpick right at the joint of the two as a visual indicator for later when the whole thing is black, going parallel to the rub line (perpendicular to the grain). Then when I slice against the grain I cut right at that mark, then each half has the different rub.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I think your OC is showing.

• Frank10231
          Frank10231 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the toothpick idea. Thanks

Ya coulda done three rubs with a little overlap.

Comment

Well the brisket been on all night. Huskee I took your advice and wrapped at 180 deg to get more bark. Just put them back on for the finally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3484 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	505426

Name:	IMG_3487.jpg
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	505428

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	505429
          Attached Files

Comment

Taste?

Comment

.............annnnnd?

Comment

Not as good as I wanted. I thought it was done but it was a little tough. First full packer I have cooked. The point had a lot of fat in it. I am guessing I did not cook it all the way.

Name:	IMG_3498.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	505889

Name:	IMG_3499.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	505890

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe part of your problems, especially from the first photo, is you didn't carve it properly. I you don't cut against the grain it will be tough. Second pic looks like the fat and collagen are breaking down so you were going good there. Small smoke ring though, I'm guessing more cook time for sure.

No rules in BBQ or the bedroom! Go for it, if you want to be super OCD about it, use a little mustard sauce to coat the first half, apply your rub to help adhesion. Then repeat for the second half, to minimise boundary overlap! Man that sounds scientific.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Said differently, if at first you don't succeed, try try again !!!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here