Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Smoke...Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Smoke...Brisket

I decided to start filling in the hole I believed I dug when buying the smoker by making my wife's favorite - Brisket. After weeks of reading about the cook online and even reading Franklin's book, I felt I was ready. I went to my local Village Market in St Michael's and talked to them about the brisket. They get their beef from Allen Brothers Chicago. I took the point half of the brisket only. I decided to go with Franklin's suggested rub Kosher salt and pepper I ground myself. Good ole Mr Coffee grinder.

I trimmed the brisket down from it's 7.3 lb. I applied the rub and let it rest for 45-60min. While warming up the smoker. Camp Chef SmokePro SG, I used Camp Chef's competition blend pellets. Once the smoker got to 225 put the brisket in at around 2am(out drinking with the neighbors :P) Didn't look at it again til 10am. Click image for larger version

Name:	9USM0hum.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	504841

At this point the temp was around 195. I let it continue until 12 or so and it was around 205. This was when I started to panic a bit. It still seemed tough to the touch and I had know idea what "you will know when it is done" means. So I started digging in here some more and finally found a post that told me what the "probe method" actually means. It was actually up around 211 when I deemed it done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gdlF7Rvm.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	504842

Pulled it off put on cutting board and put it in the turned off oven in kitchen to rest, around 2pm

Name:	bAC7JWsm.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	504843

Name:	5FQEtzZm.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	504844

The bark was amazing. The texture was amazing. The flavor was amazing. I loved the outcome.

Woot smoked for the win baby.

I'm kind of a slacker I did that cook April 22 and just now posted it. :P

Comment

i'm glad it worked out! i was getting worried when you got the point to 205! what a roller coaster! any leftovers?

Comment

I'm putting my brisket on around 2am Mon AM for a Memorial Day feast. Yeah, I'm cooking my own birthday meal for the family but I love cooking. Do the same rules apply for smoking 2 brisket as they do for smoking 2 pork butt? I don't add any extra time for 2 pork butts on my smoker...is that the same for 2 brisket? They will still smoke at the same rate as a single? I use a Big Green Egg.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Gonzo It all depends on how big your briskets are and what size your "egg" is? I've got a 17# prime packer to do and not real sure I can fit just that one on my Large Egg... Darned sure couldn't fit 2 on there without laying one on the other and that would surely extend cooking time!

• CurlingDog
          CurlingDog commented
          Editing a comment
          rules are the same for two as with one... just make sure you give enough room around each hunk 'o meat for the smoke to properly circulate and you should be good. Best if you leave a temp prob in both... I've had identical cuts side by side and it never fails that one will take just a touch longer than the other.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here