Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second brisket on the kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second brisket on the kettle

I switched from gas to charcoal over a year ago for everything except brisket because I didn't have a big enough cooker. I finally got the Weber 26.75 with SNS XL, so I can do a full packer. But I know that before I'm ready to throw a party and invite folks over for brisket, I have some practice to do.

My first try a few weeks ago, about all I can say is it made good chili. I started too hot then spent 14 hours on a temperature rollercoaster until I ended up with an mushy point and leathery flat.

Yesterday I had a much better result on my second try. It was a 14 pound USDA prime from Costco, wet aged for a month. I was careful to keep the temp under control and things held pretty steady around 250 with occasional adjustment of the vents. I also put some more thought into the positioning of the meat on the grill. I left a healthy amount of fat cap on the thick part of the point, and put that fat-side-up closest to the coals, and angled the brisket away so the thin part of the flat was farthest from the coals. It cooked faster than I expected. I foil wrapped at 160 F after 6 hours and it hit 205 only 3 hours later. Rested in ice chest for 2 hours and then sliced. Not much smoke ring, but very moist with good texture and flavor - got a big thumbs up from the family. The rub was mostly salt and pepper, but with a little bit of garlic, paprika, and sugar added.

I just bought a 9-pounder to age for my next try. I want to crank that down even lower and slower to 225 F.

​

For the sake of conversation, I'm wondering what you hope to gain by cooking brisket at 225 vs 250? Seems like you might be more likely to dry out the flat with a longer cook? Just curious...

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook. The photo is not showing.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
        For the sake of conversation, I'm wondering what you hope to gain by cooking brisket at 225 vs 250? Seems like you might be more likely to dry out the flat with a longer cook? Just curious...
        Good question HorseDoctor. You might be right, and I'll find out. Of course I want the brisket to turn out great, but that's not my main goal for the next cook. I want to get better at controlling the temperature and getting very familiar with the Weber + SNS combo. Being able to hold a low temp through the whole cook will be a good test. Until I feel like I've mastered the cooker, I'll still be using propane if I do brisket for guests. My family mostly doesn't mind eating my experiments, or if I have a fail they can have ramen noodles.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Understood!

Great job radshop , you seem to be getting the hang of it. There is a lot of logic in cooking faster and hotter although I personally don't see a whole lot of difference in 250 versus 225 in end result. Only a little faster cooking time. The longer it sits there the greater the chance of drying out as HorseDoctor mentioned but wrapping should take care of that. Longer time also gives the fat and connective tissue more time to render, and collagen time to gel.

By the way you might want to re-post your picture, it seems to have disappeared.

Comment

You mean your not doing it on the Lodge Sportsman? What are we to think? 🤔
          Wish you a good cook. 🔥 💭

Comment

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            Brisket on the Lodge - now THAT is a challenge!

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            You could pre-smoke it then sauce and throw it on the Lodge similar to the Salt Lick. radshop

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            How’s that for a challenge? Or maybe a dare!

On my bullet smoker before moving to pellet smokers my temp could swing a fair bit and providing I kept it in the 250 range it always seemed to come out great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here