Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I know what FLANKEN RIBS are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I know what FLANKEN RIBS are

When I got my monthly box from Sonrise Ranch and saw something called Flanken Ribs, I had no idea. But I learned fast. Apparently a butcher named Flanken got drunk and cut the ribs the wrong way. (I made that up.)

I seasoned with Worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, sugar, and olive oil. About 8 minutes per side direct heat over lump charcoal on the PK.

As I was prepping, I got the message that my family would be home later and was eating out. The chimney was already lit. So I had all 6 flankens myself standing at the cutting board, washed down with Deschutes Inversion IPA. Great start to the weekend.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180518_200001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	501837

Lookin' tasty!

Comment

Looks great! I like flanken ribs, they’re a fun twist.

Comment

I don't care if you made that up I still believe it.

Comment

• radshop
          radshop commented
          Editing a comment
          I swear it's true or my name's not Radshop!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Would you believe that they were actually invented by the famous movie monster - Flankenstein?

Very first item I sought help with on this site was flanken ribs. I had no clue how to prepare them. Now they are our favorite fast dinner item. Started using the Lodge grill to grill them instead of the gasser, and boy have they become even tastier.
        Good job.

Comment

Love those ribs as an appetizer. I prepare them about the same you did, cumin, garlic and seasoning salt, then cook hot and fast. They come out chewy, but that works with a thin cut of meat. I have tried doing low and slow but don’t like the result as well.

Comment

Try them low and slow, they’re super tender that way!!

Comment

I may differ here and i do not like well done meat but this cut I take to well done. I picked these up @ local Phillipine Butcher and they are outstanding. Click image for larger version

Name:	065.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	501960Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	501961Click image for larger version

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	501962

Comment

I buy those ribs already marinated at the Korean market. Get some vegy sides, kimchi and make some rice and you've got Korean BBQ..... Delicious. And your ribs look good too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Donw View Post
                  Very first item I sought help with on this site was flanken ribs. I had no clue how to prepare them. Now they are our favorite fast dinner item. Started using the Lodge grill to grill them instead of the gasser, and boy have they become even tastier.
                  Good job.
                  Yes, I'll be doing them on the Lodge next time. For my first try, I wasn't sure if I would need a hot and cool side, so I used the PK. The PK is awesome, but the SMG was made for this kind of cooking and with a third as much charcoal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here